All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

RESOLVED: Problem 1 FIXED re: Replacing 4p roms with 2p versions.

aldub516

Hey hows it going. First id like to say I'm new to this forum, but have been browsing and learning the art of arcade building and programming for years now. I did some research on this forum but haven't found my particular problem. I have a 2 player control panel.. 2 8 way joysticks with 6 buttons each. Naturally im trying to compile the most clean playable list of roms for that particular machine, and have recently discovered the magic of rom lister. So heres my main problem, and thanks for any help. Just to start, I decided to update the simpsons, TMNT, and TMNT Turtles in time roms. These games offer forced character selection, obviously meaning you cant just enter as player 1 and select any character. I added the 2p clones of these roms to my rom folder and updated the game list in gameex.. and I cannot get the 2p version to show up.. I then went into gameex settings and added all of the above rom names to the "do not filter" list. Nothing. Finally I went the most proactive route and straight up deleted the 4p versions, and renamed the 2p versions to the original rom name. But somehow the 4p version still loads. Is there any general advice on how to get the most correct versions for those 4p "forced character selection" games so I can play them on my 2 player machine? And furthermore, if there has already been a compiled list of these games, that would help in making sure I get them all. Thank you again, excuse me if I sound newbie-ish, or went about this the wrong way. Thank you and I look forward to learning and sharing new learned things..

You may have to turn off the clean list /remove dupes setting under advanced mame settings. By default GameEx does a lot of work to provide a clean list for someone with all games. Anyway its most likely its one of the filter settings that is causing the issue. All the filter settings are located under "Advanced MAME settings" in the setup wizard.

Tom - I have a question.

He said that he added the roms to the DoNotFilter list. Doesn't that override all of the settings, and show the rom no matter what?

Or are there some filters that still work, such as Clean List?

I will play with the filter lists tonight.. But as I said, I added them

To the do not filter list.. Bubble bobble comes up with Japan in its name so gameex filters that automaticaly with the word Japan.. That shows up when added to do not filter. But furthermore..

Considering I deleted the parent rom, and renamed the 2p version to replace that rom.. The 4p version still

Boots up. How is that possible? As I said I'll try the filter list. I was just

Trying to unfilter these 2p Roms without allowing all the other junk in

I do.. same effect. Furthermore i cant get simpsons/clones to show up in mame itself running out of gameex.. So i feel like im just overlooking a very stupid setting somewhere that is driving me crazy.. I have a list of things i need to nail down on my machines.. resolutions is next.. but for now i need to correct these multiplayer games.. thanks for all the help thus far.

OK!! SO FIRST PROBLEM, SOLVED! (Somewhat).. as ive stated, i knew it was something small and stupid i was doing.. And not realize it was my mame build. Awhile ago i downloaded a mame build with the built in MKCHAMP hiscore patch, as well as no nag screen, and i BELIEVE no clones patch.. when i revert back to my original mame.exe, all the 2p games show up, i delete the 4 player versions, and i am now in business.. problem 1 solved.. New problems. Can someone direct me to a suggested build of mame that i should use? Realistically the regular mame build works fine, but i was a fan of the mkchamp hi score capabilities.. and it seems i sometimes see the "this game has is not 100% perfect" warning for a split second.. What mame build can i use that will simply let me rename it as mame.exe and use it? I dont want to spend another 2 days learning about compiling, ini editing and such. The build i had worked great, although obviously wont play clones.. Thank you!

Why not just use Headkaze's MAME Compiler and vanilla MAME? It's super easy to patch up your own version with his awesome tool, his web site has all the instructions and links to ask the patches, including MKChamp's no nag/HiScore patch, which removes all those pesky warnings. Hell, you can even add Direct Input patch of you would rather use Jerry mapper software like Xpadder. You'll be up and running in no time, and you don't need to know any of the technical jargon. You can even optimize it for your CPU quickly and easily!

http://headsoft.com.au/index.php?category=mame&page=mc64

I compiled mame .150 with the mkchamp diff.. and i seem to be in business.. as of this moment my issues are solved. onto resolutions now..

Im building a cabinet for a friend and want to make sure the rom set is perfectly playable on his setup and never give him issues.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP THUS FAR.