All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

mess emulator

sms2169

instead of using several emulators for each console cant I just download mess and run Atari.jaguar,nes,snes,coleco,intellivision,n64, and sega consoles or are there certain games mess cant run on those emulators and other emulators are needed, thanks

Short answer; Yes you can.

Long answer; There is always the possibility that some games can't run on MESS, but they are clear and far between. MESS will pretty much handle all of the A+ titles for a given system, but you might find it unable to handle others. Especially if you're going to get into Atari Jaguar and N64 games. Stand alone emulators are better equipped for handling their own specific systems, and they're tailored to that system's specific needs. On N64 specifically, I know there are emulators out there that handle rendering 3D better than MESS does, plus they can have patches to disable certain aspects of games to make them more stable. MESS is a great multiple system emulator, but you really lose out on compatibility, stability, and features if you don't give other emulators a try. To be honest, I use MESS for a lot of systems, but some key systems just seem to work better on their own dedicated emulator. The only way to know for sure is try them out and see which works best for you.