All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[THEME] >>> GameroomEX v2 Discontinued!!! <<<

Krakerman

I haven't had much time to work on the NES theme paks yet I do have the layout done so I can start on it once I get these 2600 themes done. My goal is to finish the 2600 themes first and foremost. Tough job with this project is finding descent artwork for so many titles and when I don't I have to either edit it or make my own so it will take time guys especially going thru some 500+ games in a game library. ;)

Would you mind posting the template your using to make these. I was thinking of having a go at cosmic ark. Or do you build up from the atari 2600 background?

EDIT: Never mind, I built one from the Background with enough layers for everything.

PS. Where are you getting the Game #'s (Eg.CX-2618)?

Ok, found a source. First Attempt, no overlays, but I think it fits the bill. There are some subtle differences, but I doubt anyone can tell. If this fits the bill, I can pm you the Paint.net file for final approval/any mods you want to make. I might make some If you don't mind. This may go faster with 2 of us, but it's your show. Honestly, I just can't wait to showcase my old favorites you haven't gotten to yet. So, I don't know hot committed I will be. I'll send you a list of the games I'm thinking of doing if your interested.

post-10261-0-13352500-1407049126_thumb.p

OK, here is Boxing! Krackerman, let me know if I'm stepping on your toes here. I don't want to be presumptuous and do something you don't approve of. BTW, love the Overlay in the top right hand corner. I couldn't find anything. That's sick! Although, the Preview window is above the atari controller layer (Slight over sight). Better than what I came up with though. "I'm not worthy". LOL

Second attempt:

post-10261-0-82602700-1407088123_thumb.p

• Like 1

Fixed the joystick layer and cleaned up the Imagic logo on the box. ;)

You aren't stepping on my toes at all. I will post the 2600 layout soon I need to clean it up and label the layers as it's a bit clustered since it was made for just me. This way you can create better game themes using my layout. :)

I made a default Imagic box layer in the layout as well as the cart image since alot of the box and cart images out there are crappy this way I can just cut out the images that I need. It doesn't haven't to look perfect but much better looking than some of the artwork I can find. Granted these games are really old so finding descent art or any at all is challenging.

The other tools you need to make things look more authentic is fonts. I just did searches on google to find fonts for the various manufacturers or systems and it's amazing what you will find. If I don't find any good images then I just tried to replicate it as you can see with my cart and box image that was all by me I think it turned out better than any images I could find.

The hardest thing with the Imagic boxes is that they were that metallic type of box so as you can see I just used a metallic/silver type of background that I found as it didn't have to be perfect but it gives you that effect.

Are you using any onlie tools like, http://www.labelmaker2600.com/ , https://atariage.com/2600/archives/label_variations.html , and etc. It looks like your using a cartridge generator (unless your Pain.net? file is that inclusive). Also, are you going for authenticity foremost or is there some creative freedom?

Here is my ToDoList:

Atlantis

Boxing

Centipede

Cosmic Ark

Fathom

Galaxian

GORF

Ice Hockey

Journy Escape

Laser Blast

Miner 2049er

Moon Patrol

Moon Sweeper

No Escape

Phoenix

Pole Position

Raiders of the lost ark

Return Of the Jedi

Riddle of the Sphinx

Solar Storm

Star Voyage

vanguard

Nope all Paint.net my friend no photoshop or online tools at all. Alot of cutting, pasting and drawing. Think I need to invest in one of those Pen/Touch tablets thou might make it a bit easier to clean up alot of images..

Really you could do anything you want to be honest there are no rules to this hobby it's what you want for your system. For me I look to be close to authentic as I can get doesn't have to be perfect but I want it to resemble what I remember growing up playing.

Everyone's skills are different and what they want there system to look like hence the reason why I started creating my own themes because I wanted a different look for my HTPC than what was available out there. If you don't like it create your own as Tom and the GameEx team gave us an awesome tool to create themes to showcase our systems, games, movies, music and much more.

I am still learning myself I just can't justify spending tons of ca$h on a paint program like photoshop to do this which is why I use a free alternative that is just as powerful as other programs that are out there. Practice practice and learning the ins and outs of the program you use it what will turn your themes into a work of art.

Yeah, I found some fonts here:https://atariage.com/2600/archives/AtariFonts/index.html?SystemID=2600 But it's certainly not that inclusive. I'll hunt around, unless you can post them (or PM me). That way were using the same ones. I'll PM you the Paint layouts I made for Cosmic ark and Boxing, and the others on my ToDoList as I finish them. Then we wont be spinning our wheels working on the same thing. Of course this is you project, so feel free to make changes as you see fit :).

Another tip I suggest is when I create my layout for example with my 2600 themes I created alot of layers for different mfg games like Imagic and Activision ect ect so it makes it faster for me to produce the next game for that specific manufacturer or else it will take forerver to do them over and over. So when I come across a new manufacturer I will create a default layout for those carts or boxes if they are all the same so you don't have to produce them over and over it's just a matter of turning the layers on and off then copying or typing text, images, or just changing colors over the labels. Just makes thing easier to do at least for me. :)

I hope the font link helps you understand and find fonts you are looking for I know it's just the beginning but google is your friend.

Ok guys here is my Atari 2600 Layout you can use to create your own 2600 themes with. The only thing that I ask is that themes created using my layout(s) can not be used in any commercial use or any GameEx theme competitions.

The file included in this zip file is in Paint.net (*.pdn) format.

Enjoy and happy creating! :)

Note: If you come up with some new controller, cart or box layers or improve any other layers within the Atari 2600 Theme Layout then please post them here to share with everyone else. Also if you design more 2600 game themes then please share them as well with the GameEx community along with a snap so we can see what they look like.

Thank you!

The other thing is you are using Cosmic Ark's cart image for the box on the left and then the cart on the right looks more like the default atari carts so it is a bit more un-authentic. That is why I included the Imagic cart and default box and all you need to do is supply the box picture and text logo and same for the cart and center them. Now that you have the correct Paint.net you will see that I have it in there makes it easier for you unless of course you like it the way you got it. ;)

I'll try. I made a cart Layer too (we're thinking on the same wavelength). I included the Layout as it contains the Imagic cart layer + Label.

Final Attempt, I think this is a winner!

EDIT: Made suggested changes. Lot more layers in your template. I think I'm getting the hang of it. I'll stick to the Imagic Games for now. I have a few of them on my list. I added a Moonsweeper and edited Demon attack with new cart top..

Cosmic Arc (usa).7z

post-10261-0-72921800-1407106937_thumb.p

post-10261-0-33559300-1407114136_thumb.p

post-10261-0-62475700-1407114142_thumb.p

• Like 2

Nice! the only thing missing are the rivits on the cart. ;) Also look at the new updated theme layout I changed the cart to be more metallic instead of flat grey.

I been meaning to make a more authentic cart at the top but haven't figured yet how I want to go about it.