All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Video capture software (MAME)

GimmeClassics

Do you guys have any recommendations in regard to video capture software ?

Preferably free but if there's any good commercial software I'd also like to know.

I would like to use it for capturing my MAME gameplay sessions and posting a video now and then at our GameEx Hi-Score Competition [in addition to the snapshots] :)

I am using a compiled version of MAME 0.147. I've recorded a session (INP) using the build in function of Mame. When I however try to playback the INP-file, MAME is screwing up my video:

> It's not showing the correct gameplay footage; it's showing gameplay footage but not up until the hi-score I've recorded (completely different hi-score) and

> the initials at the in-game hi-score table are also incorrect. When playing back the video MAME enters default initials A#A instead of the initials I've entered when recording the video ; those default initials are also shown when I start the game again ;(

[i think it has something to do with using a compiled version instead of a default build]

So...I'd somehow like to use the record (INP) function of MAME > playback the INP file using MAME > grab the video when I choose MAME's "Playback input function" using third party video capture software.

Any help is appreciated :)

GC

EDIT: I've tried to make a couple of recordings using Action! Unfortunately it causes the MAME game to run very slow and with a distorted sound effect :(

Any idea how to solve this ....?

Other recommendations (capture software) are of course also welcome :)

When I choose MP4 (480p) instead of AVI (default) when I record a gameplay session everyting seems to work ok :)

Anybody has any idea why I can't playback an INP file correctly with MAME ? (see post #1) Does it have to do something with me using a compiled version of MAME ?

@ Krak > when I playback the recording Action! shows a watermark of their logo. When I buy the full version this is no longer the case ?

Yes no watermarks when you buy it (I have the paid version of both Fraps and Action!).

Another one I know if is PlayClaw. Hmmm not sure what settings you are using. I have no issues on my end with slow down. What are your settings? Yes I record using MP4@720p with a video framerate of 60. Sometimes you just have to mess about with the settings and see what works.

I switch between Action! and Fraps if one has issues with recording I try the other. I found thou Action! works perfectly for Visual Pinball recordings as Fraps for me had slow down/choppy issues not sure why. Some of it might depend on how fast a PC you have.