All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Won't Launch Emulator

J_L27

Hello, I downloaded GameEx a few days ago and have yet to get it to launch my selected emulator. I am a newbie at this so it could be something simple I've missed. I'm using Snes9x as my main emulator and even though it can find my roms, it won't play them. Instead, GameEx will go black then return to the main menu. My last log is attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

log.txt

Thanks, here is my config file.

[Emulator]
lastgame=
Enabled=True
System=Nintendo SNES
Category=Console
Emulator=Snes9x
Version=1.53
Rating=9.0
RequiredFiles=
Info=Super Nintendo emulator
TitleText=Nintendo SNES
StartPageName=[Console] Nintendo SNES (Snes9x)
StartPageLogo=Nintendo SNES
Command=snes9x.exe -fullscreen "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"
RomFilter=
Database=[Console] Nintendo SNES
ConfigFile=[Mapping Off] Exit (Process Close)
MapFile=
RomPath=D:\Video Game Emulators\Snes9x Test Build\Roms
SnapPath=D:\Video Game Emulators\Snes9x Test Build\Nintendo SNES\Snaps
TitlePath=D:\Video Game Emulators\Snes9x Test Build\Nintendo SNES\Titles
BoxPath=D:\Video Game Emulators\Snes9x Test Build\Nintendo SNES\Boxes
CartPath=D:\Video Game Emulators\Snes9x Test Build\Nintendo SNES\Cartridges
ManualPath=D:\Video Game Emulators\Snes9x Test Build\Nintendo SNES\Manuals
ControlPanelPath=D:\Video Game Emulators\Snes9x Test Build\Nintendo SNES\Controls
WorkingPath=D:\Video Game Emulators\Snes9x Test Build
MapKeys=False
WaitBeforeKeys=
SendKeys=
ReplaceDash=False
ReplaceUnder=True
Capitals=False
RemoveBrackets=True
ShowDesktop=True
Debug=False
AlsoLaunch=
OLDatZip=
LaunchBefore=
LaunchAfter=
ExcludedFiles=
CustomBackground=
PlayMusic=False
DontShowInfo=
PlaySelectionMusic=False
SelectionMusicFolder=
PCGame=False
GamesIn7Zips=False
PlayInScreenSaver=False
ShowMostPlayed=True
RandomMostPlayed=True
CDCheck=False
CDCheckFile=

So I have a couple troubleshooting steps to request of you:

Please verify that your emulator is in fact located in D:\Video Game Emulators\Snes9x Test Build, and that the name of the executable is snes9x.exe. If that all checks out, would you mind trying the following troubleshooting steps using runitgame.bat (specifically the steps listed in B. Troubleshooting with "Run Last Game")? There's something going on with how your command is being executed I just can't see what it is based on your config. The console output from adding a pause to runitgame.bat will likely shed some light on the issue.

4. "Run Last Game",or "RunitGame.bat"
It is important that the last emulator run in GameEx is the one that you are having problems with!
A. Post your "Run Last Game" or "Runitgame.bat"
Every once in awhile, someone will ask to post the contents of "Runitgame.bat" RunitGame.bat, Is the batch file that GameEx uses to start the emulator, it will show the actual command lines that GameEx is using to start the emulator. To view it, Go to: Start Menu > Program Files > GameEx > Utilities> Run Last Game, and Right click on the icon, and choose "Edit". If Windows wants to know what program to use to open the file, Choose "Select a Program From a List of Installed Programs" Choose "Notepad" from the list. (You may want to make sure that "Use This Program Everytime" is checked.)
Copy and paste the text from Notepad into your next post, by using the keys:
Ctrl + "A" (select all)
Ctrl + "C" (copy)
Ctrl + "V" (paste)

B. Troubleshooting with "Run Last Game"
Follow the instructions above to open "runitgame.bat" It will look something like this, however, the contents will vary depending on the last emulator that was run in GameEx.

One way to troubleshoot a problem is to add the word "Pause" at the end of the Runitgame.bat file. When Windows asks "Do you want to save the changes..." Click on "Save". Next, double click on the "Run Last Game" Icon in the Start Menu. This will send the commands again, but the command window will remain open. It may show an error that will help you to understand what is wrong.
If you get this error:
'Emulator name.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
It means that either you have the incorrect name specified for your Emulator.exe, or your working path is incorrect.
If it gives an error that you don't understand, please let us know that you tried this method, and let us know what the error is.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I've got it working. Apparently, it won't launch Snes9x Test Build, only Snes9x, even when correctly naming the file and setting up the working path in setup wizard. Though now I got a couple of other problems. It won't run my shaders in Snes9x and some of my box art is missing although I know I have the box art in the correct folder. Also, whenever I choose certain themes from the setup wizard, I get an error message and then get locked out of GameEx. I have to uninstall completely, re-install and then choose a working theme from the configuration to get it back to normal. I'm sure these are simple oversights on my part and hopefully can easily fix.

Thanks for the help so far, I really want to get this thing working properly.

Also, if I'm stacking too many problems into one post let met know and I'll post them into separate posts.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I know once you've got it working the last thing you want to do it break it... but you should try setting up a custom emulator and using MESS to play snes9x games! Like you I used to use snes9x and granted MESS is not yet 100% there for snes although I'm yet to spot any problems.... the reason I did this is because:

1) MESS does a fantastic job of emulating a CRT/TV screen on your LCD screen for snes games which is immeasurably better looking.

2) MESS emulates many systems and the number emulated is growing all the time. So learn how to do it once and then doing it for other systems is simples! I also use it for NES, Genesis and Atari 2600 games.

A custom emulator is the same as using one of the preset emulators except you have to fill in all the details... you can even look at the settings in the setup wizard for a preset emulator like the snes9x one you have to work out how to launch MESS for snes.

HTH