All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

What's this naming convention?

stigzler

this is a 7zip file, mainly used for better (maybe best) compression. it will maybe work with GameEx, if you have a registered version, as GameEx supports 7zip files then.

best way to go, would be to unpack your 7zip file. i guess it will contain either a .bin, .cue or a iso-image, which all can be mounted by daemon-tools ;).

to get it work with emu-movies, you need to rename that image to your emu-movie artwork or vice versa.

Thanks chaps. I'm OK with the file format - more the filename naming convention. I understand Emumovies uses conventions like NoIntro, GoodTools and hyperlist xmls.

Had trouble with some sets where naming convention isn't in this format... then the fuzzy match doesn't work too well. Been down the road of RomManager; ClrMame etc, but often the CRCs (??) don't match the downloaded .dat or xml....

Just wondering if anyone knew what convention the above is? (NoIntro etc...)

Thanks again.

yes, you are right nullPointer, but the Download Service Utility has no Videos. So if you downloaded Videos from Emu-Movies.com, you will need to rename them. I guess they are Hypershit-formatted ;).

For Playstation-Games it was not too hard for me, as i didnt have so many (obvious reason the size of the images ;)), but the SNES, NES Collection, was a pain in the ass. This would be also a nice PlugIn for GameEx :D. A nice Renaming tool... throw a .dat file in, point to a folder with the vids and go for it :).

Dont know the naming convention either.... they come from a paradise ;) place. but like i said, i didnt have so many PS-games, so renaming a few hundred, was not the problem.

Hmm ... I've pretty much downloaded all my videos through the Download Service Utility. I'm pretty sure that hasn't changed, but I also haven't used it for a while? Having said that ... I'm also a lifetime member over at Emu-Movies so it's certainly possible that having a paid membership also plays into it somehow.

This would be also a nice PlugIn for GameEx :D. A nice Renaming tool... throw a .dat file in, point to a folder with the vids and go for it :).

Have you checked out Perfect Match? It basically does exactly what you describe.

I'm also a lifetime member over at Emu-Movies so it's certainly possible that having a paid membership also plays into it somehow.

Have you checked out Perfect Match? It basically does exactly what you describe.

Definetly different, if you are a supporting-member ;). i will do it in the future.

Didnt look into Perfect Match, but i know it. In the past, i was afraid i could messup my MAME set with this, but i will look into it for the evergrowing emu-collection :) .

Wasn't the paradise place, U-man, but booked through a similar agent. :)

I agree - it would be nice to have a piece of software that basically did fuzzy matching of game names in dat or xml files with filenames of roms, and then rename the rom filenames to a 'standard.' (i.e. the xml names)

I've scouted everywhere for this. I posted elsewhere on this forum about this.

Perfect Match appears to rename video filenames to rom names - so doesn't do above.

Tried loads of rom managers. Most seem to use CRC from images to match the roms NOT fuzzy on xml filename and rom filename.

Another way I tried was to DL video/artwork sets via EmuMovies FTP. This produced essentially two folders of filenames - the videos/artwork (in the right convention) and the roms.

Frustrating thing is, the human eye can match them easily. In one case, rom filenames just had "(US)" or something added somewhere in the middle. But I couldn't find a way to rename.

Very frustrating! All that's needed is some kind of thing to fuzzy match two sets of filenames (or names in an xml/dat file). Surely this can't be beyond 2013 computing!

Thanks as ever for your replies, chaps.

I had previously posted a suggestion to try out Bulk Rename Utility, but I'd forgotten that it will not handle the matching component of the file renaming process. I have used it for that purpose in the past, but I had to generate a text script in advance of running Bulk Rename Utility. In the end it turned out to be too much of a hassle to be worth the time spent. After reviewing their web site briefly I was reminded of the pain and agony! I figured I better hurry back to redact my recommendation!

Edited by nullPointer
  • Like 1

That is the kinda thing that'd help, Null. I suppose it doesn't have to be rom/games/mame specific - just a generic fuzzy match filename changer... that MUST be out there somewhere, surely! I'll have to go on a hunt after this week - week off and pushing hard to finish this infernal machine!

To me it looks like psx format. There is a program called PSX Renamer that would rename the files to a more normal looking name. The last I knew it was difficult to find a complete version of PSX renamer, but maybe things have changed, I haven't looked in over 5 years. ;)