All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

gamebase(ST) how can I remap keys?

stryker

Hi,

I followed the guide on here to setup gamebaseST in gameex and it works great! Steem runs a treat.

However I want to remap some ipac buttons to handy st keys IE have a spare fire button remapped from the standard IPAC definition of "Z" to "F1".... under all my other emulators in gameex I can do this under the keymapping features of advanced emulator setup... however with gamebase I'm not sure how I can do this as the gamebase settings screen in setup wizard does not offer many options.

Any ideas?

Thanks

The only way you can do this is by configuring Steem outside of GameEx and GameBase. Just like any other emulator. All GameEx does is poll information from GameBase. GameBase, in turn, only holds details about how to run a specific game and where it's located. If Steem is the program the game wants to load, then Steem is launched and then the game. To configure the inputs though, you want to click the joystick icon in the top right corner of the Steem program.

• Like 1

I've done that and its fine.... however for any emulator in gameex under advanced emulator config you can launch a dialogue which lets you map keyboard key 'A' to keyboard key 'B' for example.... you do this because when you have an ipac your arcade buttons are pre-assigned to keyboard keys which are used by everything else such as MAME... however an Atari ST only has 1 fire button meaning I've got 7 other buttons that could do useful things... IE many game start by pressing "1" or "2" on the keyboard... I'd be fine if I could map a couple of my buttons to those keys.

Hi, nice thought and yes winipac can be used to set the ipac button profiles on the fly... that would be perfect however there is no "launch before" options under the gamebase settings in gameex

Yeah GameBase is a bit of a special case in the land of GameEx. Being that GameBase is essentially a separate frontend and launcher, GameEx defers any emulator settings to those that have been configured through GameBase . So GameEx let's GameBase take the wheel for any emulators configured and launched through GameEx (otherwise they might end up "fighting" each other for control). I think that's what Han was getting at.

Having said that, doesn't GameBase rely on some sort of "master script" for controlling the means by which it launches emulators? Any chance you could add a line to that script for launching WiniPac? It may not be feasible, and I'm certainly no expert on GameBase, but it sure seems like it would be possible given the open nature of the GameBase script(s).

Short of that, it might be a good time to make a feature request to implement Launch Before and Launch After for GameBase. I imagine you're not the only one who's run into this with GameBase.

I just thought I would expand on my previous comment as I had a bit of time to browse the documentation for the GEMUS scripting language over my lunch break. It does have a function called Run_Program which (I think) can be used for the purposes of launching external programs via GameBase. If you were looking for a way to make this happen today, I would imagine you could leverage this function for the purposes of running Xpadder or WinIPAC or what-have-you.

OTOH it looks like the sort of thing that might require some experimentation as well as trial and error. I'd be curious to hear whether anyone else is doing something similar.

• Like 2

If you're going to be messing with GameBase's GEMUS, I -HIGHLY- recommend making a backup copy of them first. I really screwed mine up trying to figure out the Atari 800 GameBase and ended up having to start all over from scratch with a fresh install and everything. Do yourself a favor and make a copy!

• Like 3

If you're going to be messing with GameBase's GEMUS, I -HIGHLY- recommend making a backup copy of them first.

+1 to that lol My 1st try at GameBase was GB64 with WinVICE and also, i majorly messed my own head up unintentionally :D

It only became apparent, when in my head that i realised both GB64 and WinVICE were altering the same freakin .ini :rolleyes: I had to lock that .... down! ^_^

I've set up the copy of steem that came with gamebasest as a generic emulator in GameEx and done away with gamebase thus I can have gameex handle the keyboard re-mapping.... I only wanted my old fav atari st games, perhaps 20-30 at most and gamebase was just a major over complication

I've set up the copy of steem that came with gamebasest as a generic emulator in GameEx and done away with gamebase thus I can have gameex handle the keyboard re-mapping.... I only wanted my old fav atari st games, perhaps 20-30 at most and gamebase was just a major over complication

Well, you know sometimes the easier route is the best route ;) I mean after all you can still utilise mostly everything that comes with GameBase within GameEx :) Snaps , vid, boxart, flyers, etc etc

I may well take a look at this in the near future - i'll let you know of (if any) progress B)

I think its fair to say most people with cabs use an IPAC or one of the similar devices or a program similar to xpadder that does not have a GameEx plugin.... thus execute before and after for all emulators and means to run a game is a must really.