All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Is anybody using Family Game Sharing on Steam yet?

KRC

I read about it on Kotaku (article), which linked up with the Steam announcement. Apparently in order to join the beta you just join the Steam Family Sharing Group, and they let you know if you've been selected to participate. It might be too late to join the beta though, as the Steam announcement says that it began in mid-September. Long story short I'm not using it, but curious to see how it pans out.

As I understand it your Share list will be a separate list than your normal friends list. When one of those friends "borrows" one of your games, they still need to download and install the game as you normally would need to on Steam. So I think any achievements and stats will still belong to the "borrower". But ... there are additional restrictions on when the "borrower" can play your games. Basically it's like a token. Only one person can be playing any game in your library at any given time, and you as the owner/lender take precedence over borrowers.

So let's say I borrow Hello Kitty Bullet Hell in the Abyss of Sorrow Pt. 2 from you. Steam prompts me to download and install it, which I do. So I'm playing along wondering how on earth this game got an E for Everybody rating, when you pop in and decide you want to play GTA IV or something. At that point I receive notification from the Steam client that you're playing a game in your library, and that I need to quit the game I'm playing at which point it will simply will save and exit.

I'm kind of taking a guess here, but that's sort of how it works as I understand it.

I've been thinking the same thing! Actually I've been thinking that it would probably work particularly pretty well for overseas friends since the time difference would help to avoid collisions between borrower and lender trying to play simultaneously.

I know right! Say, it just so happens you and I live in different time zones... *lightbulb* ;):P:D