All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Is it me or is Access 2003 an absolute dog...

stigzler

OK... so I'm no database engineer and I am using 2003... However, even back in 2003 - wasn't "useability" and "human computer interaction" alive and kicking... sheesh (sorry - it;s for a GameEx project). Fine way to spend a week off - wrestling with the most pedantic and unnecessarily convoluted piece of software I've ever used.

Howdy Stigz!

Are you making adjustments to the GameEx databases? If so, you could always break the proprietary chains of Access and switch over to the SQLite databases (.db3). There are a number of freely available editors available for SQLiite. (I made the switch to Database Browser Portable based on Stu1983's suggestion). At this point the the .mdb files are considered to be the legacy databases.

Also as a word to the wise: If you're making edits to the GameEx databases, and you (presumably) wish to keep those edits, you'll want to set the file(s) to read-only after you make your desired changes. That way they won't get overwritten when you update GameEx. Although ... in this case you do run the risk of missing out on some great updates to the database(s).

S'up Null! Been a tedious journey, so not sure how exactly ended up using access!! Am indeed using the gameex dbs, but not referencing directly so no worries about updates. These were in two formats - db3 and mdb. Ended up using access because thing i remember using years ago - but wish I hadn't now!!

I need query/form design as my confidence in sql coding is slight. Used to use SQL and PHP years ago when dabbled with web design, but these days, I'm "too old to code."

Hat off to any sane database engineers out there - really is driving me potty - it's like having a pedantic and nagging wife!

grrr - roll on this finishing.

God. I loath this piece of c**p. "Out of memory Error" - loosing forms with no method of recovery... Think I'm gonna bill Bill for all my lost time. Wish I hadn't started with this application now. I did have a look at Database Browser Portable but didn't seem to have form design. However, after my second 3 hour recovery from the last corruption, and then to loose it all again - had enough... I'm off searching for a free alternative (libre Office crashed very quickly!)

grrrr