All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Recommended screen capture software?

stigzler

Hi folks,

So getting close to getting things finalized in GameEx and wanting to do some videos of it in action.

Have tried ActivePresenter and ezvid. However, when gameex is in fullscreen - you just get a black screen captured! Fumbled around in the settings to no avail.

Can anyone recommend good screen cap software - pref free @ HD standards.

Cheers

Steve

There was a thread about this recently over on the BYOAC forums. The responses therein provide a pretty good handful of suggestions, though I won't pretend to have tried more than one. The responses there give a slight edge to Fraps, but only by a slim margin (and Fraps is not strictly Freeware, at least not for unlimited usage). After reading the responses I'd be curious to check out Bandicam (also not strictly freeware) and MSI Afterburner Predator (which is free).

BTW, if you use FRAPS it doesn't do a very good job with GameEx (I think it's because of the Direct3D or something... It never played nice for me when I was trying to make videos of my plugins). If you want to make videos of GameEx, you might want to look into Camtasia.

Thanks fellas. But no joy :(

Tried:

Action! - capture in Active Desktop - GameEx still coming up as black screen - captures desktop ok. can't record in Games and Applications mode - presuming you need licence for that + not willing to pay without knowing it works! (also - would prefer NOT to pay of course!). Lastly - can't get the bugger to close out my system tray! hmmmm

Tried Camtasia - same problem - GameEx = black screen. Also see you have to buy license for this too :s

Lastly - Fraps - highly limited under freeware - also haven't got working (got to restart machine now cos Action may be messing something up)

WHy is nothing ever simple, especially when it should be!

Right Click on your GameEx executable in your root folder and click on properties then the compatibility tab and tick where it says something like run in XP mode. Then try the video capture.

(That info is going off the top of my head)

• Like 2

And KRC scores!! Brilliant - cheers dude. Set compatibility to Windows 7 and no more woes with fullscreen capture :)

Active Presenter working well and free too! :D

Although just gotta get my head around framerates now :s

Thanks for all yer help fellas