All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[Attn] Issues with current version of Shark Codecs 2013/08/09

Tom Speirs

The latest version of Shark's Codecs has adware now? That's not a good sign. Hope they get it fixed soon.

Its had adware for years. Its just the usual optional toolbar installs etc. That was not the reason for me posting this, just the current version causes crashes in PinballX and GameEx. It will be the codec version and not particularly shark.

The latest version of Shark's Codecs has adware now? That's not a good sign. Hope they get it fixed soon.

IIRC, last time I installed Shark it brought Bing Bar with it. A quick Googling found a response from the dev, who stated they get a small payment from the install, if you don't like it you can uninstall Bing (or not install Shark to begin with), and here's some registry entries to stop the install altogether. I'm absolutely not a fan of this, and the registry entries to block install did not work when I tried, but I can live with uninstalling Bing. Is there a decent alternative? CCCP wasn't able to play everything I threw at it. K-Lite? (ugh).

Years ago it included a non optional install of Bing which most probably broke terms and conditions of Microsoft. I even warn users of this at gameex.com. Now he uses some other provider and it is definitely an optional install now. So as long as you know what you are doing you have nothing to be concerned about. It probably all uninstalls fine now too if you miss it. Providers of install bundlers don't stay around long if they don't provide easy uninstalls and optional installs. So if the software is legit the adware most likely is too. Things have changed a lot in this field. Its also got very competitive. I get offers from companies every week or so. Even my software includes it but I use the best available and forfeit a few dollars on payout. Its nice residual income when I include it with the google ads and I don't do too bad relatively although its far from something you could live off. It certainly covers most or all of the internet related costs on my end though.