All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Adding Emulators to GameEx

katharian

Hi everyone.. I'm a complete noob to this.

I'm wanting to add more emulators to my gameex. Sega Genesis, game cube and ps2 are the ones I would like to have. I have no idea how to do it and I was looking through the forums and I was having trouble trying to find it.

Also one more question... I have roms already on my computer and would like to play them through gameex. How exactly do I do this?

Thanks everyone!

Hi katharian and Welcome to the GameEx forums!

So I see two questions here, but they basically boil down to the same question. How does one go about adding emulators to GameEx?

Before we come back around to that question, let's make sure you covered some of the prerequisites first. Prior to adding an emulator in GameEx, you'll want to first make sure that the emulator is running well outside of GameEx. Here's what I recommend:

1. Install your emulator if any installation is required. If no installation is required you can run the emulator directly.
  2. Configure the emulator settings. This may involve several incremental steps. Broadly speaking if you're emulator requires any external plugins for operation you'll want to be sure you have them in the proper directories prior to configuration. Mnay emulators don't require plugins, so if you're not sure just carry on. The emulator will complain if it's missing critical plugins, so when in doubt just attempt to run the emulator and see what happens. At any rate you'll probably want to configure the emulator for video settings, and controller settings at a minimum, but each emulator can be unique in this capacity so take some time to acquaint yourself with the various settings. We can often provide some degree of assistance with this step, but often times the emulator documentation and/or forums dedicated to an individual emulator may be better suited to answer questions geared towards a specific emulator.
  3. Everything configured? Great! Let's try to run a game. Did the game run? If Yes proceed to step 4. If No return to step 3.
  4. So you've got games running and you're feeling good about yourself as well you should. Let's go for some bonus points here. In order to truly test the emulator outside of GameEx it's a good idea to get a feel for the command line used to run the emulator. (This is how GameEx will launch the emulator so it's a very good idea to become acquainted with this aspect prior to incorporating the emulator in GameEx). See if you can run a game from the command line. This part is optional but highly recommended.

So now your emulator is running outside of GameEx and you know the configuration and settings from front to back. Let's put that sucker into GameEx. You'll want to fire up the Setup Wizard and report to the Emulator Selection screen. This is where you'll add your emulator into GameEx. From that screen you'll navigate to the Emulator Setup screen and the Advanced Emulator Setup screen to complete the configuration of your emulator. At this point you may have questions about specific emulators and how to get this or that emulator running properly through GameEx. That's where we come in. If you encounter any specific issues with configuring or running emulators through GameEx please feel free to ask any questions you may have. In order to expedite that process I would strongly urge you to read the How to Ask For Help thread so that you can provide the necessary files when requesting assistance.

So that's it in a nutshell. It's a pretty broad question so it's hard to provide specific details, but please feel free to report back if you encounter issues with any of the above.

• Like 1

Okay.. I have all the emulators downloaded that I want...

But there is one more problem. I put my roms in the rom folder, there is a list of emulators that I downloaded from the wizard and i put them in the correct folder BUT they won't show up on Gameex for some odd reason. DO you think I just downloaded a sucky emulator?

Am I downloading unsupported rom files for the emulator? I mean they will play outside of the program on a emulator that is not connected to GameEX, nothing comes up at all.

I has teh sads. Thankyou for helping me btw!

But there is one more problem. I put my roms in the rom folder, there is a list of emulators that I downloaded from the wizard and i put them in the correct folder BUT they won't show up on Gameex for some odd reason. DO you think I just downloaded a sucky emulator?

Am I downloading unsupported rom files for the emulator? I mean they will play outside of the program on a emulator that is not connected to GameEX, nothing comes up at all.

As an FYI ... please refrain from the discussion of downloading ROMs. We are unable to provide any assistance in situations in which there is a question of legality. Please refer to Forum Guidelines and Rules for details.

There, now that I've taken care of the serious business of forum moderation, let's tackle your issue. In regards to getting emulators to appear in GameEx there are a couple of settings you'll want to check.

Make sure the emulator is set as Enabled on the Emulator Selection screen.

Make sure you've configured a Working Path on the Emulator Setup screen, and that it points to the directory containing the exe for your emulator.

Make sure you've configured a ROM Path on the Emulator Setup screen, and that it points to the directory containing ROMs for your emulator

Lastly try to validate that the emulator command appears to be correct for your emulator on the Emulator Setup screen in the Setup Wizard. This last bit isn't really related to making an emulator appear in GameEx, but it is absolutely crucial to running an emulator through GameEx.

Regarding ROMs not playing nicely with your emulator, this is where you may need to refer to the emulator documentation/help forums. OTOH we may be able to provide some assistance if you let us know what file extension you're running with a given emulator.

I'm falling asleep, cancer after care and RA meds are killing me. I'm swaying as if i'm playing a piano... Must sleep.. I will be back in a couple of hours!

Uff da. My mom has been on chemo treatments for lung cancer for going on five years now. It's anything but a good time. Stay strong. Get some rest before tackling this project. Setting up and configuring emulators is not physically taxing (well at least up until the point that you chuck a monitor through a window), but it can be mentally taxing to the point of frustration. You'll get there. Try the above and if that's mot working for you post up your GameEx.ini and we may be able to better tailor some advice to your specific needs.

I'm a 28 year old female, I've had four surgeries. We caught my cancer so damn quick because I have really bad endometriosis, I went through the whole cancer experience.... I was scared mostly cause I was going to lose my hair but there is this new thing called the cold cap.. It's this thick cap and they cool it down to 43 degrees or lower while you are getting treatment. I lost some hair but the mass of it still remains.. It's down to the middle of my back and it's beautiful.. The hair that I lost though is growing back. What sucks though is after I was cancer free I got RA and another immune inflammatory disease. Sometimes I feel like my upper belly is going to explode and on some days it's hard for me to breathe because it attacks your lungs. The scariest thing in the world to me is it can close your airways and you choke to death. When I finish my after care I'm going to get a hysterectomy, no kids for me but I will have awesome hobbies!!!

Anyways.. I'm having one issue. On tweaks and Performances, my computer and my xbox can handle Very High Performance BUT it will only allow me to be on medium. Is it because I haven't paid for this product yet? Cause If I can get everything working I will play for it.

Sorry about your momma, moms are so special- Mine just had her gallbladder out. :(

Also.... This...Will one of you gentleman knights look over this for me? Please and thankyou!

Verifying Text / Language...
Verifying Download Themes...
Verifying Theme Selection...
Verifying Display Settings...
Verifying Audio Settings...
Audio Files (if not Media Player): "C:\Music" does not exist.
Audio Files (if not Media Player) (*.*): No files found in "C:\Music".
Verifying Input Settings...
Verifying Touchscreen / Tablet Settings...
Verifying HTPC / Multimedia Settings...
Other Path/s: "C:\Video" does not exist.
Other Path/s (*.*): No files found in "C:\Video".
Startup Video/Dir: "C:\Video" does not exist.
Startup Video/Dir (*.*): No files found in "C:\Video".
Picture Path/s: "C:\Pictures" does not exist.
Picture Path/s (*.*): No files found in "C:\Pictures".
DVD from Disk Path/s: "C:\DVD" does not exist.
DVD from Disk Path/s (*.*): No files found in "C:\DVD".
Rip Folder: "C:\DVD RIPS" does not exist.
Rip Folder (*.*): No files found in "C:\DVD RIPS".
Verifying GameBase Settings...
Verifying Automatic artwork download...
Verifying Karaoke Settings...
Path to CDG/MP3 Files: "C:\Karaoke" does not exist.
Path to CDG/MP3 Files (*.*): No files found in "C:\Karaoke".
Verifying Attract / Screensaver...
Verifying Steam...
Verifying GameExtender Settings...
Verifying GameEx Arcade...
Verifying Download Emulators...
Verifying MAME Settings...
Background Snap Path: "C:\Emulators\Mame32\backgroundsnap" does not exist.
Background Snap Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\Mame32\backgroundsnap".
PCB path: "C:\Emulators\Mame32\pcb" does not exist.
PCB path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\Mame32\pcb".
Artwork Preview Path: "C:\Emulators\Mame32\artworkpreview" does not exist.
Artwork Preview Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\Mame32\artworkpreview".
Custom Lists Path: "C:\Emulators\Mame32\CustomFolders" does not exist.
Custom Lists Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\Mame32\CustomFolders".
Favorites File: "C:\Emulators\Mame32\Folders\Favorites.ini" does not exist.
CPWizard Path: "C:\Program Files\CPWizard\CPWizard.exe" does not exist.
GameExtender Art Path: "C:\Emulators\Mame32\marquees" does not exist.
GameExtender Art Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\Mame32\marquees".
Catver ini Location: "\DATA\catver.ini" does not exist.
Nplayers ini Location: "\DATA\nplayers.ini" does not exist.
History dat Location: "\DATA\history.dat" does not exist.
MAMEInfo dat Location: "\DATA\mameinfo.dat" does not exist.
Command dat Location: "\DATA\command.dat" does not exist.
Controls ini Location: "\DATA\controls.ini" does not exist.
Verifying Client / Server MAME...
Client / Server MAME Path: "C:\Emulators\ClientServerMAME" does not exist.
Client / Server MAME Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\ClientServerMAME".
Verifying AdvanceMAME...
AdvanceMAME Path: "C:\Emulators\AdvanceMAME" does not exist.
AdvanceMAME Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\AdvanceMAME".
Verifying Zinc...
Zinc Path: "C:\Emulators\ZiNc" does not exist.
Zinc Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\ZiNc".
Verifying Model 2...
Model 2 Path: "C:\Emulators\Model2" does not exist.
Model 2 Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\Model2".
Verifying Daphne...
Daphne Path: "C:\Emulators\Daphne" does not exist.
Daphne Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\Daphne".
Daphne Snap/Video Path: "C:\Emulators\Daphne\images" does not exist.
Daphne Snap/Video Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\Daphne\images".
Daphne Snap Background Path: "C:\Emulators\Daphne\backgroundimages" does not exist.
Daphne Snap Background Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\Daphne\backgroundimages".
Daphne Flyer Image Path: "C:\Emulators\Daphne\flyers" does not exist.
Daphne Flyer Image Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\Daphne\flyers".
Daphne Cabinet Image Path: "C:\Emulators\Daphne\cabinets" does not exist.
Daphne Cabinet Image Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\Daphne\cabinets".
Daphne Title Image Path: "C:\Emulators\Daphne\titles" does not exist.
Daphne Title Image Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\Daphne\titles".
Daphne Marquee Image Path: "C:\Emulators\Daphne\marquees" does not exist.
Daphne Marquee Image Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\Daphne\marquees".
Daphne Panel Image Path: "C:\Emulators\Daphne\cpanel" does not exist.
Daphne Panel Image Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\Daphne\cpanel".
GameExtender Image Path: "C:\Emulators\Daphne\marquees" does not exist.
GameExtender Image Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Emulators\Daphne\marquees".
Verifying Emulator Selection...
Verifying Emulator Setup...
Verifying Emulator 1: Nintendo SNES...
Verifying Emulator 2: Atari 5200...
Verifying Emulator 3: Nintendo N64...
Verifying Emulator 4: [Console] Sega Genesis (GENS+)...
ROM Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Roms\Sega Genesis\Roms".
Image Snap Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Sega Genesis\Snaps".
Title Snap Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Sega Genesis\Titles".
Box Art Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Sega Genesis\Boxes".
Cartridge Art Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Sega Genesis\Cartridges".
Game Manuals Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Sega Genesis\Manuals".
Verifying Emulator 5: [Console] Sony Playstation (ePSXe)...
ROM Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Roms\Sony Playstation\Roms".
Image Snap Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Sony Playstation\Snaps".
Title Snap Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Sony Playstation\Titles".
Box Art Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Sony Playstation\Boxes".
Cartridge Art Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Sony Playstation\Cartridges".
Game Manuals Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Sony Playstation\Manuals".
Verifying Emulator 7: [Handheld] Nintendo Game Boy Advance (mednafen)...
ROM Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Roms\Nintendo Game Boy Advance\Roms".
Image Snap Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo Game Boy Advance\Snaps".
Title Snap Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo Game Boy Advance\Titles".
Box Art Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo Game Boy Advance\Boxes".
Cartridge Art Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo Game Boy Advance\Cartridges".
Game Manuals Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo Game Boy Advance\Manuals".
Verifying Advanced Emulator Setup...
Verifying Emulator 1: Nintendo SNES...
Verifying Emulator 2: Atari 5200...
Verifying Emulator 3: Nintendo N64...
Verifying Emulator 4: [Console] Sega Genesis (GENS+)...
Controls Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Sega Genesis\Controls".
Verifying Emulator 5: [Console] Sony Playstation (ePSXe)...
Map File: "[Console] Sony Playstation.map" does not exist.
Controls Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Sony Playstation\Controls".
Verifying Emulator 7: [Handheld] Nintendo Game Boy Advance (mednafen)...
Controls Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo Game Boy Advance\Controls".
Verifying Emulator Groups...
Verifying HTML Applications...
Verifying HTML Application 1: Weather...
Verifying HTML Application 2: GameEx homepage...
Logo: no logo specified.
Verifying External Applications...
Verifying Radio Stations...
Verifying News Feeds...
Verifying Enable / Disable Features...
Verifying Tweaks / Performance...
Finished!

What does this stuff mean?

Verifying Emulator 9: [Console] Nintendo SNES (MESS)...
Image Snap Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo SNES\Snaps".
Title Snap Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo SNES\Titles".
Box Art Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo SNES\Boxes".
Cartridge Art Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo SNES\Cartridges".
Game Manuals Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo SNES\Manuals".
Verifying Emulator 10: [Console] Nintendo SNES (ZSNES)...
Image Snap Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo SNES\Snaps".
Title Snap Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo SNES\Titles".
Box Art Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo SNES\Boxes".
Cartridge Art Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo SNES\Cartridges".
Game Manuals Path (*.*): No files found in "C:\Assets\Nintendo SNES\Manuals".