All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Ipac & Game ex help needed

mattalbot

Hi everyone

Im new and just started on the slippery slope of retro gaming

i have a custom cabinet which i have had for around a year running game ex on windows xp, i bought it from somebody else who built it

Since the day i bought it its had an issue in that everytime you play a two player game and there is a bit of button bashing and stick waggling eg streetfighter 2 or ninja turtles, it would exit the game back to main menu at some point, this never happened when playing on my own.

After some advice and digging it was established that my cabinet was built using a keyboard encoder rather than i ipac and i was getting some key conflicts, i was advised that if i bought a ipac it should resolve the issue.

I went out and bought a ipac mini with wiring and a daisy chain supplied with it, it took me a few hours to rewire the cabinet today

Now i have another issue, game ex boots up as usual and i can navigate the menu and select a game but once the game loads the buttons dont respond

its doing my nut in, i have spent a full day messing and cant get it to work, i have downloaded winipac and all the buttons seem to be set up correctly

I really need some help, am i missing something or do i need to adjust settings in game ex as well

Sorry to have to tell you this, but an Ipac is a keyboard encoder, so changing to it was pointless and that for your original problem there was a simple fix.

Regarding the problem you have now, What emulator are you trying to get working?

Hi

Thanks for the reply, ill check the emulator when I get home and let you know any help would be really appreciated

As for the previous issue just out of interest what would have been the fix for that.

I'm gutted now wish I had found this forum before I took the old wiring and encoder out

It is called 'Global Exit'. Run the setup wizard, and select 'Custom'. Put a tick in the box for input settings, click on the green arrow pointing right. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

You might as well post your ini, and log in your next reply. To do that click on my signature and then click "How to Ask For Help" There are instructions there to to help you post those files.

If you are trying to play Arcade games, you are most likely using Mame.

Welcome to the forums and don't worry, we will get you going. :)

I'm gutted now wish I had found this forum before I took the old wiring and encoder out

Well if it means anything, you probably upgraded your equipment. I-PAC is about as good as it gets in terms of keyboard encoders. Just consider this an 'unscheduled upgrade'. :)

Yes the encoder i removed looked like a fire hazard!

A bit more advise is needed if anyone can help

How can i return the input keys in gameex to standard as they were when it was first installed, im guessing that when this was first installed it was by default setup for the ipac

Am i right in guessing that?

Please note that I do know nothing about the ipc stuff but - if you want to experiment and revert the input keys to their default values, please do the following:

1 - Locate and open GameEx\CONFIG folder

2 - Move custominput.ini somewhere outside the GameEx directory. This file stores your current input key configuration. I'm suggesting to move it instead of delete it because, if things will not be as desired, you can always revert the config.

3 - Make a copy of custominput.default.ini and rename it custominput.ini. This file stores the default settings for input keys.

Now you should have the default input keys.

HI

Im running an old version of game ex

I have searched the entire folder looking for custominput.ini or custominput.default.ini and they are not there

any other suggestions

Hmm ... if it's not too much trouble, I would highly recommend updating to the current version of GameEx. Heck half of us are too old and senile to remember what's in this version of GameEx, let alone the multitudes of legacy versions out there. ;) In all seriousness though our capacity for troubleshooting becomes greatly reduced when trying to figure out what's going on with legacy releases. Sometimes the effort is completely wasted since subsequent bug fixes may have addressed the issue as reported (granted probably not in this case, but I'm sure you can see what I mean.)

Hi

I have updated gameex to current version (using a memory stick), i have found the custominput.ini removed it and renamed a copy of custominput.default.ini to custominput.ini

Still no controls when game starts, if i press tab i can edit the keys in the menu that appears and play it fine but i cant exit the game back to the menu and as soon as i power off the cabinet it looses the keys i have set in mame

im really pulling my hair out with this, what seemed like a couple of hours job has eaten all day sunday and all this evening!

Just to clarify... when you lanuch a game, the inplut passes to the emulator itself... so when you asked how to reset GameEx input keys... maybe we were following the worng path. You should concentrate in configuring MAME itself.

About closing a game... this is a matter of GamEx configuration instead.

It is called 'Global Exit'. Run the setup wizard, and select 'Custom'. Put a tick in the box for input settings, click on the green arrow pointing right. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Tempest said it all. Global exit allows you to configure a keyboard or joypad key combo to close ALL emulators. Have you already tried it?

I see these entries in GameEx.ini that can be relevant to your problem:

KeyboardDirectInput=False

EnableCustomInput=False

EnableAdvCustomInput=False

I may be wrong because I don't remember, but some of the advanced input features are for the registered version only... or not? I don't remember, it's just a doubt that comes to my mind now. Do you use a registered or unregistered version?

Edited by AlphaUMi
  • Like 1

Hi im using an unregistered version that was installed in the cabinet when i bought it

I intended on getting the full version as soon as i get this sorted

the entries which you mentioned above which are disabled, should i enable them?

I have the global escape key programmed, but when i press this it takes me out of game ex rather than just back to the game ex menu

Yes... set the value to True. And this:

EnableSlikStik=False

Setup Wizard says this is and option to enable for those who use SlikStik and IPAC, too...

Have you had a tour in the Input Settings section of the Setup Wizard? Open Setup Wizard, Select Custom and then Input Settings.
Check all those options and set them accordingly to your system. If you click on the question mark, it gives you detailed information about each option.

That the global exit combo exits gameex too is not normal... it's not intended to be "global" until that extent...

• Like 1

Hi

I have updated gameex to current version (using a memory stick), i have found the custominput.ini removed it and renamed a copy of custominput.default.ini to custominput.ini

Still no controls when game starts, if i press tab i can edit the keys in the menu that appears and play it fine but i cant exit the game back to the menu and as soon as i power off the cabinet it looses the keys i have set in mame

im really pulling my hair out with this, what seemed like a couple of hours job has eaten all day sunday and all this evening!

Would you please post your mame.ini?