All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

MAP File discussion

See the blue letters on the verification page is exciting for me. I admit sometimes enjoy more setting GameEx and emulators than playing the games . I like fiddling with things and see what works.

Until today I thought the verification page was sacred to check that everything worked properly. But after this bug , I have to stop believing in it. :P

Until today I thought the verification page was sacred to check that everything worked properly. But after this bug , I have to stop believing in it. :P

That would probably be a good move. It's good for alerting you to major incidents before boot, but i don't think it takes into account some things, like plugins for example which can alter things after GameEx has run its processes. Use it as a guide - not a final word :)

It's not a bug either BTW - as mentioned above i think the verification wizard only runs GameEx processes and doesn't take into account any 3rd party commands, processes etc. As you now know, us "Vets" will mainly use it to flag obvious flaws, but will still boot GameEx to witness for ourselves regardless ;)

Edited by DazzleHP
embassing grammors :P
  • Like 2

Hi all,

I have the Hi score snapper tool working as well as the MAME favourites custom list for the competition games within the default MAME list. I am unsure of how to set up the Hi score updater.

Firstly, I couldn't find RunOnStartup= in either the gameex.ini or the setup wizard. I found an option in the wizard under external programs called Launch Before=. Is this the same option just renamed?

Secondly, as I am using favourites custom list over a map file I have editied the path in Launch before to this: "W:/GameEx/HiScore Updater/HiScoreUpdater.exe" -type 1 -fpath "W:/GameEx/customlists/GameEx HiScore Competetion.ini". Is this correct?

I just want to check that everything will work when the next update is added.

Thanks for your help.

J.

Hey Jedah!

The command you're looking for is actually on the last page of the Setup Wizard in >Tweaks/Performance> Launch On Startup

Make sure not to confuse it with Launch On Startup don't wait, for reasons outlined in Adultery's original post.

Assuming your paths are correct, your command looks OK! My brain is flagging this though (in red):

"W:/GameEx/HiScore Updater/HiScoreUpdater.exe" -type 1 -fpath "W:/GameEx/customlists/GameEx HiScore Competetion.ini"

Normally the official favorites file is named HiScore.ini, but you may have renamed it and the updater will probably be fine with that - only Adultery can confirm whether that would have an influence :)

Apart from that though you look good to go!

• Like 1

It shouldn't matter I don't think. Admittedly it's been a while since I set this up but I think you can set that file name to whatever you like.

I believe the code looks for the file name you specify and overwrites it if found or creates it if not. :)

• 10 months later...

Not sure If I did this correctly or not, probably not since it's not displaying the custom favorites ini, but I tried to follow the posts as closely as possible. I picked up a copy of HiScore Updater and set it up as directed. To test It, I added 1927 (a bogus entry) as a game on the list and loaded GameEx. When I exited the ini it had been replaced with the good copy as expected. So that part is ok.

Here's my problem. The list that is supposed to appear in my Mame menu doesn't at all. Only the lists I enabled to show in the wizard do (vertical, Light gun, and all mame). I pointed the "custom list path" at the folder that contains the Hiscore.ini and nothing happened, so I tried also selecting the HiScore.ini in the "favorates file" field and all that did was add the list to my favorites menu (which is mixed with the other games I have favored in GameEx). I tried updating my mame list to no avail too. So, what did I do wrong? Or shoud I just go with Han's emulator option (which I did and it works fine, I would just like it under my mame menu).

Hmm, it should work... Can you post a copy of it to rule that out? Also, you put it in a folder, pointed GameEx at that folder, and ran the update list option right?

"MAME Settings" --> "Custom Lists Path" = the folder the below HiScore.ini is in (it is not nested within another folder therein, however the online updater app folder is in this folder as well)

"MAME Settings" --> "Favorates file" = the actual HiScore.ini above (not just the folder it's in).

Just, performed a Mame list update and guess what? It worked! I'm not sure why I couldn't get it to work last night. Anyway, I guess I don't need the Favorates file to point at the INI unless I want them there, correct? Lastly, can I add multiple arguments in the startup field to update both the INI and MAP files?

HiScore.ini

[FOLDER_SETTINGS]

RootFolderIcon = cust1.ico
SubFolderIcon = cust2.ico

[High Score Games]

abcop
anteater
arkanoid
bankp
blazstar
bloodbro
bombjack
btime
bublbobl
ccastles
centiped
chopliftbl
circusc
citycon
cyvern
ddonpachj
ddragon
digdug1
dkong
dkong3
dkongjr
flicky
galaga
gaplus
gauntlet
gberet
gekisou
ghouls
goldnaxe
gunsmoke
gyruss
hharry
irobot
jackal
jjack
joust
junofrst
ladybug
mario
mpatrolw
mrdo
mslug
nitrobal
outrun
pang
pbobble
popeye
punisher
qbert
qix
Raiden
reactor
robotron
rtype
rygar
s1945
sharrier
shinobi
skykid
snowbros
spyhunt
strider
tapper
tgmj
timeplt
toobin
tutankhm
wb3

You probably have to use the Quicklaunch plugin if you want to run more than one thing, and you'd need to run the hiscore updater twice to do that. The plugin makes it possible to execute multiple commands, I don't believe GameEx does that natively.