All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

General question re database

nightwulf

Hello. In my quest for the perfect database (for me, anyway), I've run into a snag. Is there an option I'm missing or is it possible somehow to merge entries based on database name?

Take Kirby Super Star (SNES) as an example. I'd like to see "Kirby Super Star" listed once in my game list, and selecting it would allow me to pick from "Hoshi no Kirby Super Deluxe," "Kirby Super Star," and "Kirby Fun Pack" (JP, US, and EU, respectively).

I tried doing this with the existing database (using GoodName, Nointro, and TOSEC columns to represent each game region), but "Kirby Super Star" is still listed three times in the game list, one for each region. It's only listed once in the database.

Any database gurus (Tom or otherwise) who know how it works internally? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, unfortunately that setting isn't quite doing the job (intended or otherwise). Using the Kirby Super Star example, I get three entries in my game list. One contains all three versions of Hoshi no Kirby Super Deluxe. So it's definitely merging between revisions (guessing it groups by filename up to the first parenthesis) but doesn't if the names are entirely different.

"Legend of Zelda, The: A Link to the Past" and "Zelda no Densetsu - Kamigami no Triforce" is another good example. It's listed twice, and one entry shows all the US and European revisions (note the EU version is named the same as the US), the other showing all the Japanese revisions.

Ah yes, I see what you mean, and you're right Merge Sets will merge across regions and revisions where the naming convention is the same, but not where the naming convention is different. This functionality is not currently available in GameEx. It does come very close to describing a 'Multiple Playlist' feature request that's been made on a few occasions in the Feature and Enhancement Request thread. It certainly couldn't hurt adding your request to what's basically a petition at this point. :D