All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Other Arcade Systems I Still Need

hansolo77

So we've all heard of MAME. The romsets you can get for it are all inclusive for the most part. What I've found is that included in the MAME sets are other systems as well. It looks like MAME itself is incapable of supporting many of the newer arcade systems, so independent developers are making their own standalone emulators for them. I know of and now have setup Sega Model 2 and Sega Model 3. I have also heard of Sammy Atomiswave and CPS3. There's also Daphne (laserdisc). I haven't, however, set those systems up yet. Does anybody know if they're really super difficult? Are there extra roms I'll need to get ahold of or are they for the most part included in the MAME sets?

I've only got CPS-3 setup out the systems you mentioned and it's a breeze, It's one of the easier arcade one's to set up. It's one of the system's that get's the most use on my setup due to Street Fighter III 3rd Strike.

You could probably get CPS-3 setup in and out of GameEx in 10-15 mins. If you need any help with setting up CPS-3 just ask.

I used to have Daphne and Model 2 setup but removed them as I needed HDD Space but now I have a couple more external HDD's I may install them again.

I setup Daphne a very long time ago and it was easy I think.

The thing I'm more concerned about right now is the roms. MAME has all these roms already included correct?

Also, I remember Adultery and some of the other guys going through a lot of stuff getting another system setup called Taito Type X2. I'm not quite ready to go into that area yet, as I know for certain I'll have to expand my collection and I'm running out of space too. I have a 1tb drive dedicated to just these emulation games and it's only got about 300mb left. :)

Edited by nullPointer
Please refrain from discussion of how ROMs are obtained

I think what you mean to say, is that you'll, "buy more arcade boards to add to your already extensive collection," but I take your meaning. ;)

In addition to the systems that have already been mentioned, Sega Naomi and Naomi 2 are great arcade platforms that are also fairly well emulated at this point.

Well, yea, somehow manage to obtain the required parts that emulators require to play games from the arcade on your pc. ;) I keep getting slipped up on that. Hehe.

Anyway, I never heard of the Naomi. Do their softwares take up much space on the HDD? I'm eager to set up more stuff (I think at last count I have about 80 systems on my pc right now ^_^) but I don't really have the capacity to add more. Just need a way to run that which I already have.

Well if Naomi is the successor to Model 3, there's probably no way my system can handle running it. I think for the time being I'll just stick with what I got. I noticed that a lot of their games are on GD-Roms, which were a proprietary optical disc format that have their data on 1.2 gb "CD's". So with 300mb left on my game drive, there's no way I could even have 1 game. Thanks for telling me about it though. Always fun to learn about new stuff like that.

Some Taito Type X stuff nearly racks up 8gb, I can run Type X on my laptop but not on my main system.

Its worth running Taito Type X if your system is beastly.

TTX can be quite demanding on your system if you decide to look into it, but also seems to depend on your hardware configuration quite a lot, for instance i can run GigaWing Generations flawlessly on my i3 but Homura is a no go - it's stop, start, stop, start yet on my Dads Bulldozer it runs like butter and GigaWing just freezes. Each "rom" can also take quite a bit configuring and tinkering to even get loaded, but in my opinion it's worth it! It's def the one people will be amazed at :)

I quoted rom because they are actually normal PC executables :P

Wow thanks for that link to NonMAME Freq! I learned that DEMULE has a lot of very nice playable games, so I went ahead and downloaded it. Apparently I already had most of the roms it lists in it's menus. I was able to test on NAOMI and NAOMI 2 and Atomiswave with that. Now I just gotta configure them up in GameEx. :)