All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Got frustrated with hyperspin giving gameex a whirl..few questions

willybeamish

Does gameex need a ROM list in XML format like HS? And what exactly is Gameex referring to when it says something about Assests?

I somehow got mame to work only if I click the Mame on the top of the list but I select emulated games with the pic of the N64 I see the 4 emus I tried to setup and no ROMs were found..

Thanks guys

Hi willybeamish and welcome to the GameEx forums!

I've seen you around over at BYOAC, and had noticed your thread about HS giving you headaches. Glad you decided to give GameEx a try!

Does gameex need a ROM list in XML format like HS?

Absolutely not. GameEx generates your game lists strictly based on the contents of your ROM directories. Naturally GameEx also supports map files for exerting greater control over your game lists, but that's strictly based on your own preferences and there are several utilities to assist you if you choose to use map files. For the most part you only need to drop your ROMs into the directories you choose, and GameEx does the rest.

And what exactly is Gameex referring to when it says something about Assests?

"Assets" isn't any sort of official term, but several of us here store artwork and media in an "Assets" directory. GameEx doesn't require that your artwork is stored in an directory called "Assets" though. You can store your artwork and media in any old directory you choose. As long as you point your emulators at the proper directories you're good to go.

I somehow got mame to work only if I click the Mame on the top of the list but I select emulated games with the pic of the N64 I see the 4 emus I tried to setup and no ROMs were found.. Thanks guys

This is something of a common misconception. GameEx comes with a small selection of sample artwork to provide an example of what GameEx should look like once configured correctly. But it's only artwork. There would be red flags going up all over the place if GameEx came pre-configured with ROMs. You're on your own there cowboy. ;)

You'll need to configure MAME and any other emulators through the Setup Wizard before they will work through GameEx. So that will be your first stop. Take a look there and see how far you get. I'm sure you may have questions as you're working through the setup, and that's where we come in. Let us know how it's going, and if you hit any snags.

The one favor I would ask is that you refer to this thread before posting a request for troubleshooting assistance. We'll probably ask to take a look at some of the files mentioned there, so you can save yourself some time if you're proactive about posting that info up front.

Thanks willybeamish, and Good Luck!