All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Madcatz Arcade Fighting Stick

Krakerman

I am getting a Madcatz TEKKEN™ TAG TOURNAMENT 2 Arcade FightStick™ Tournament Edition S+ for Xbox 360 that I will be adding to my Gameroom soon. I have it ordered and should have it very soon. I was using a Pelican Tournament Ready PS2 arcade stick using a Radio Shack PS2-to-USB adapter but when you play Pac-Man he always gets stuck in the corners. Hopefully I will get better performance from this Madcatz stick.

Will post back later on how well it works.

I have the Madcatz Super Street Fighter IV T.E arcade stick for the 360, which is pretty similar and is excellent, pretty light and very precise, I've never used it for emulation though. :ph34r:

That looks cool and all, but what exactly is Japanese style buttons and joystick?

These arcade sticks use identical buttons/joysticks that are used on japanese arcade machines (mainly Street Fighter and Tekken), they are very strong,very precise and can take a hell of a beating. Usually made from the same high grade materials found on japanese arcade machines.

That looks cool and all, but what exactly is Japanese style buttons and joystick?

Good question and i was gonna ramble about pro sticks and such, but then i found this that will probs fill all your geek needs and answer why at the same time some people take these things so seriously :D (i do not, but i do know why people do :) )

-EDIT-

Just got it today. I need to find me one of those 4-way restrictor plates for this stick so I can play pac-man correctly

A stick that did this on-the-fly would be awesome but unfortunately doesn't exist :( either you have an 8-way that is good for fighters, or a four way that is good for Pacman, Shmups etc. Granted there are gimmicky sticks out there but they are not really practical in my opinion. If i was to make the perfect solo CAB it would have an 8-way on the left and a 4-way diagonal on the right - but that is me :)

For some reason not sure if it's normal but this stick only operates in dpad mode if I switch it to left/right analog stick it doesn't work at least on my PC since I don't have a 360 to test it on. I'm gonna call madcatz on monday and ask them.

Well I just tried the stick in left analog mode and it worked on SSFIV Arcade Edition on STEAM. For some reason MAME wont see it and only detects the dpad. Same think in Pinnacle Game Profiler as it only detects the dpad but when in SSFIV and I switch it to the left stick it works as well. Right Stick doesn't but I think the right stick isn't used in that game.

Well I just created a Joystick 4-way map for MAME so the controller works much much better when playing Pac-Man!

It's a similar issue I had with my Madcatz SF pad, when using nestopia the switch had to be on left thumbstick even though the config was made for the dpad, and the RB button wouldn't even work no matter what switch it was on, I replaced the pad and still the same issue.

Just saw a YouTube

on how to move the restictor plate on the fight stick now Pac-Man as well as all other 4-way stick games (Donkey Kong ect. ect..) plays perfect!!

haha awesome! there are a few 4-ways it should work good on now :) Did you try to compile with the Directinput switch in the end? Just curious as i may well get one one day ;)

Not yet. To be honest I never attempted to compile my own version before. I used a joymap that someone made plus set the Gate to 4-way on the controller and it works like a charm. So if you get a Madcatz make sure it's a TE (Tournament Edition) stick as they have the adjustable gates on them.