All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Sony reveals PS4!... UPDATED 26th Feb

DazzleHP

Or rather, doesn't.

They did however reveal the controller and a boatload of other information for all you geeks out there, in a New York conference a few hours ago.

I can't find a good source vid of it anywhere and there seems to be bits of it scattered all over the net so if anyone finds a good source please share :)

After reading quite a few articles this one @ techradar.com has the most info in one place i could find.

For clarity the link again with full address:

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-release-date-news-and-features-937822

For all you wanting to to see the actual console - i guess we're still gonna have to wait till E3.

I'm pumped about these new gen consoles - i just hope they don't forget about us hardcore gamers, the ones that prefer physical controllers with buttons, rather than waving our arms about like a maniac # ^_^

#UPDATE from 21st February

More info - thanks null! - should've done this sooner - thanks all the same!

The full vid: (i couldn't get it to embed properly because of age verification, sorry)

The full 2 hour New York conference courtesy of playstation.com

• Like 3

They should have made the PS4 backwards compatible with the entire PS1.PS2 and PS3 library not just DLC with crappy available games, I think that would have swayed more customers to getting the console. The controller looks sweet though.

But me being the tool that I am I'll most likely pick one up on release day :ph34r:

I can remember queuing with my daughter for the original 60gb PS3, "good memories" :) ,and to this day I still have that exact PS3, which has had about 10 hours total gameplay :blink: .

I'm perfectly happy with my Wii U to be honest. PS3 has been collecting dust for months (aside from NetFlix and Bly-Ray movies) so I might just say eff it and get it in a couple years.

But me being the tool that I am I'll most likely pick one up on release day :ph34r:

Hehe yeah me too, well either a PS4 or 720. I always say i won't but still do - then feel like a complete fool 6 months later when they knock 30% off the RRP

I'm perfectly happy with my Wii U to be honest.

Man i miss having a Nintendo console for the few franchises i love. Like Zelda and Mario - yeah i still love Mario and no i won't grow up :P But i just can't bring myself to buy a console solely for one or two games.

Still, Dolphin and P64 give me enough Link & Mario medicine when i need it B)

Hehe yeah me too, well either a PS4 or 720. I always say i won't but still do - then feel like a complete fool 6 months later when they knock 30% off the RRP

Yeah that happened to me, I paid £399 for my 60gb PS3 on release day, 2 months later I could pick one up for £220, talk about ridiculous !

Eventually the 60gb went out of production and newer "none" backwards compatible versions were easily available. I still cant understand why they removed the backwards compatibility from the later phat models. I heard that it was cost related but for god's sake Sony your filthy rich !!!!!

Sorry isn't this a PS4 discussion !!!! :ph34r:

Yeah that happened to me, I paid £399 for my 60gb PS3 on release day, 2 months later I could pick one up for £220, talk about ridiculous !

Ouch! :o That might be why they scrapped backwards compatibility from the beginning - to keep costs down, hence the rumored £300 release price. And in fairness to Sony their consoles do have a stupidly looooong shelf life. I mean, you can still buy a brand new PS2 if you look around! :blink:

-back on topic- ;)

The "Instant On/Off" feature has me a bit worried - i dunno, just switching a console off mid-game just doesn't sit right with me. "No more waiting 60 seconds for your console to boot" - really?! Is this how things are going - people in such a hurry they can't wait one frikkin minute! It'll end up that we are born, all knowledge in the world & all the emotions and feelings ever felt are injected into our brain, then killed off and our flesh recycled as energy for the next "1 hour lifetime".

/rant :P

They should have made the PS4 backwards compatible with the entire PS1.PS2 and PS3 library not just DLC with crappy available games, I think that would have swayed more customers to getting the console. The controller looks sweet though.

I can remember queuing with my daughter for the original 60gb PS3, "good memories" :) ,and to this day I still have that exact PS3, which has had about 10 hours total gameplay :blink: .

You think your a tool, I bought one off ebay from Hong Kong before it was even released in the USA. At best all it ever did was play my early Region 1 Blu Ray collection and its still sitting right there.

I bought one off ebay from Hong Kong before it was even released in the USA. At best all it ever did was play my early Region 1 Blu Ray collection and its still sitting right there.

Ouch, I bet you were gutted !

I know for a fact my PS3 has never "Ever" been able to play DVD or BluRay disc's :blink:

I think in some ways the following may explain Sony’s choices regarding backwards compatibility:

A patent filed by Sony suggests that the company will prevent the PS4 from playing second hand game discs using an RFID tag.

The patent would allow the console to check if that game had already been linked to another console or account - the kicker being, it wouldn't even need to be online to make the check.

There's no saying that Sony would definitely use this RFID check system on all PS4 games, but it does give it the option to essentially destroy the second-hand game market.

source

Not much reason to support older games, if you destroy the market for them. Apparently Microsoft is investigating similar measures. In many ways this paints a bit of a grim (or at least drastically altered) future for the gaming landscape. Thank goodness for emulation! It certainly gives me pause as to whether I want to throw more money at them. In terms of next-gen consoles, that Steam box is looking more and more attractive. (Ah who am I kidding - I'm sure Sony will likely sucker me in with one console exclusive game or another :lol: )

Cheers for follow up link null! That is good news - i would be hesitant to pay £40 for a game that may only get used for 2-3 days and then is useless to anyone else. I suspect some of you are the same, but my family and friends all swap games to borrow coz lord knows it's expensive to keep up with every new release. If we couldn't anymore then, well, consoles just wouldn't be an option for many of us.

Also the offline newsbit may just sway me into buying the PS4 over the 720. With the situation i'm in right now and for the foreseeable future atleast, i can't be guaranteed to always have a connection. Plus i had my glory days in multiplayer gaming already and now i've gone back to playing single player mostly. Why should we have to be online to play a single player offline game?! It's ridiculous.

I was a Playstation fanboy for years, with a PS1 and the PS2. Then I bought an Xbox 360 and liked it much more because of it's modability. I won't go into any further details. I am however, getting real fed up with the Microsoft Monopoly. Especially the whole subscribtion fee to access the Live service whereas Sony's is absolutely free and offers pretty much the exact same content and playing experience. I'll have to wait and see what M$ pulls out of their ass with their next gen xbox, but so far, I'm thinking about going back to my PS roots and getting a PS4. My friends I made up in Canada that play Halo with me everynight will just have to get over it!

Screw backwards compatibility IMHO. I never play old games on new consoles anyways. Hell I still have my Cube hooked up and play Mario Kart Double Dash all the time.

The RFID/used game debate has been around for a while now (see EA's Online Pass). Locking games out kills two industries: GameStop (and places like it) and GameFly (or rental places in general). It will just not happen anytime soon unless they just stop caring about the consumer altogether. Which can happen nowadays I suppose.

Still not sold on the PS4 but the Steam and Nvidia boxes do look promising. :)