All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] SNES in MESS?

RIP-Felix

Anyone know why my SNES games start to load and imediatly fail in MESS. My SNES games are in .sfc format which I understand is the same as .SMC. I already tried renaming them to no avail. I prefer using mess over zsnes (fewer keys assigned to emu functions that get in the way of my x-arcade tanksticks).

Emu Config:

[Emulator]Enabled=TrueSystem=Nintendo SNESCategory=ConsoleEmulator=MESSVersion=0.145Rating=8.1DownloadUrl=http://www.gamesdbase.com/setupwizard/emulators/download/mess.7zRequiredFiles=dsp1data.bin, dsp3data.bin, spc700.romWebsite=http://www.mess.org/Info=Multi system emulatorTitleText=Nintendo SNESStartPageName=Nintendo SNES (MESS)StartPageLogo=Nintendo SNESCommand=mess.exe snes -cart "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" -joy -nowRomFilter=*.sfcDatabase=[Console] Nintendo SNESConfigFile=[Mapping Off] Exit (Process Close)MapFile=RomPath=E:\GAMES\My Games\All Games (Files)\SNES\SNES RomsSnapPath=E:\GAMES\My Games\All Games (Files)\SNES\Artwork\Snaps\ImageTitlePath=E:\GAMES\My Games\All Games (Files)\SNES\Artwork\Snaps\TitleBoxPath=E:\>GAMES\My Games\All Games (Files)\SNES\Artwork\Box ArtCartPath=E:\GAMES\My Games\All Games (Files)\SNES\Artwork\CartridgeManualPath=E:\GAMES\My Games\All Games (Files)\SNES\Artwork\ManualsControlPanelPath=E:\GAMES\My Games\All Games (Files)\SNES\Artwork\Nintendo SNES\ControlsWorkingPath=E:\GAMES\My Games\All Games (Files)\Atari\Atari 2600\Emulators\MESSMapKeys=TrueWaitBeforeKeys=SendKeys=ReplaceDash=FalseReplaceUnder=TrueCapitals=FalseRemoveBrackets=TrueShowDesktop=TrueDebug=FalseAlsoLaunch=OLDatZip=LaunchBefore=LaunchAfter=ExcludedFiles=CustomBackground=PlayMusic=FalseDontShowInfo=PlaySelectionMusic=FalseSelectionMusicFolder=PCGame=FalseGamesIn7Zips=FalsePlayInScreenSaver=FalseShowMostPlayed=TrueRandomMostPlayed=TrueCDCheck=FalseCDCheckFile=BakSnapPath=E:\GAMES\My Games\All Games (Files)\SNES\Artwork\Snaps\BackgroundVideoSnapPath=E:\GAMES\My Games\All Games (Files)\SNES\Artwork\Snaps\Videolastgame=

Doing some more research, sounds like I need to have the SNES bios. Any idea where to put it? The mess folder doesn't have a roms folder in it (at least not by default). I just use the command "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" in gameex to launch the roms in another folder. So if the bios file is supposed to go there will mess know where to be looking for it?

Ok, thanks. I saw that before but made a mistake implementing the advice.

[Resolved]

You need to create a folder in the main MESS directory (the one where the "mess.exe" application is) called "roms". Then you need to place the "snes.zip" archive containing the BIOS into that folder. In fact the snes refrence in the command "mess.exe snes -cart "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" -joy -now " is telling MESS to use the snes.zip archive containing the BIOS. It just needed to be in the ...MESS\roms\snes.zip directory.