All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

multiple virtual joysticks - mapping from keyboard?

Venomouse

Hey guys, not exactly a gamex specific question but hoping someone can help :)

Running pc version of TMNT 2 - battle nexus, Its 4 players...Im running ipac4 and have it working with everything mame, snes etc...

The problem with the game is it will only allow player 2 3 and 4 to use a gamepad, I have watched a few tutes on ppjoy but the issue lies where I want multiple gamepads mapped to the keyboard (so I can use my arcade cabinet 2 3 and 4 players.

any suggestions?

Cheers

V

sorry to be clear, I have 4 sets of arcade controls,, ie 4 hoysticks and pushbuttons. (all through ipac4 interface)

Basically the games I'm playing only support one input type per player...eg one player kb, and an extra pad fo each...

I tried ppjoy and managed to get one virtual gamepad working, but as there are 3 in total (first one is keyboard so its ok) it's a bit of a pain in the......

hope that makes more sense..

ie,

player one is keyboard, keys already mapped

player two is virtual gamepad mapped from additional keyboard keys

player three is virtual gamepad mapped from additional keyboard keys

player four is virtual gamepad mapped from additional keyboard keys

TMNT 2 - battle nexus is available on multiple platforms (Game Boy Advance, PlayStation 2, Xbox, GameCube, Windows). Can I assume that you are using the Windows version rather than trying PS2, for instance? Two thoughts here.

• If you are using the Windows version...PPJoy is probably the best option. That will create one or more virtual joysticks that can be mapped to keyboard or other joystick physical inputs. When you use the physical inputs, Windows will see them as both the original and the virtual joystick. If you set up TMNT to look for the virtual joystick, you should be good.
  • If you are using the Windows version, you could try the PS2 version. I know some people have had good luck running PS2 on their systems over MAME versions. If I had a choice, I'd prefer the Windows version, but this might be a viable backup option. One down side is that you may still need to use PPJoy depending on how your PS2 emulator handles input. Some emulators will only allow input from the keyboard from a single user (just like you are experiencing now).

PPJoy was originally designed as a parallel port joystick utility. It has been extended to work with keyboard and gamepads as well, but many of those features are hacks or add-ons. That being said, PPJoy has a lot of capability that you should definitely check out.

cheers, small details I always tend to leave out :)

TMNT2 - PC

gamecube won't run on my system (I'm about to post requesting system specs for those who can)

Used ppjoy originally but whenever I tried to assign a button to the geneic pad it couldn't detect. > then used keyboard to Joy option and managed to get keys mapped (had to have an instance open for each pad)

But the game still didn't pick these up.

cheers for the help thus far