All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Wii/GameCube Recommendations

hansolo77

So I finally got around to installing Dolphin for Wii/GameCube emulation. I'm actually really surprised at how well it emulates. I wanted to get the full Mario collections for my system (needed Super Mario Sunshine [GC] and Super Mario Galaxy [Wii]). I'm just curious what other games are worthy of adding to my collection. I'm a big Star Wars fan (obviously) so I added the Rogue Squadron, Clone Wars, and Bounty Hunter games for the GC, anything else recommended?

Resident Evil [GC]

Resident Evil Zero [GC]

Luigi's Mansion [GC]

Super Smash Bros [GC]

Zelda: Twilight Princess [GC]

Zelda: Wind Waker [GC]

Possibly Lego Star Wars aswell, can't really think of Wii games because when we had our Wii we had kiddy games.

Luigi's Mansion [GC]

Oh I forgot about Luigi's Mansion on the Gamecube, I've been playing about with Dolphin a lot lately, must give it a blast. I've been really surprised how well Dolphin runs too. I'm running on an i5 720 with a GTX 460 and pretty much everything is running smooth. Mario Galaxy and Mario Galaxy 2 are the slow though :(

I would also recommend Pikmin 1 and 2, they are available for Gamecube and with Wiimote support on Wii. My wife loved watching me play those 2 from start to finish. She cried when they all followed me into the water and died before we realised they couldn't swim :)

Mario Kart Wii is also great, there is Mario Kart Double Dash on the Gamecube as well but I haven't played much of it, good to complete a collection though.

I was playing Kororinpa the other night, it's really good but you need a Wiimote to enjoy it as it relies on tilting

A couple of games are remakes or older games with updated graphics and story elements (it might even be apropos to say they’re reimaginings). Both of them are ‘love it or hate it’ affairs, but I love them both.

• Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GC) – Remake of Metal Gear Solid. Hands down the best version of the game, and a GameCube exclusive.

• Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Wii) – Remake of the original Silent Hill. Dark and twisted as ever!

Also no one has mentioned Mario Sunshine (which in and of itself is a bit divisive with in fandom).

Wow never knew Shattered Memories was available on Wii, I own it on PS2 :P

I honestly think the Wii version is the best version of the game (surprisingly). The ‘radio static’ comes out of the speaker on the Wii-Mote, and the flashlight is motion controlled (waggling isn’t everybody’s bag, but I thought this last bit was a great means of ratcheting up tension).

I don't know if I like Mario Sunshine. I'm an oldschool Mario fan, sidescrolling. When Super Mario 64 (N64) came out, I found the controls way to complicated. Now in Sunshine it's even worse and the game story is kinda lame too; a water pump spraying clean patches of the ground? At least with Galaxy it looks like it has some sci-fi elements which might be fun, although I haven't played it yet.

I was thinking about the Zelda games, but unfortunately I've actually never played any of them. Kinda like Phantasy Star, I was more a Final Fantasy guy and never played them. I also thought about the Metal Gear, but the Dolphin Wiki says it's not fully emulated yet. I do have Super Smash Brothers Melee and it's pretty awesome.

I wish Rogue Squadron II was playable on the Dolphin. It locks up at the first screen so I can't even try it. Rogue Squadron I has a draw distance problem so you can't really play it because you can't see things coming at you till it's too late. When I tried Bounty Hunter, it seemed playable but SLLLlllloooowwwww. The same is true with Jedi Outcast. Luckily I have a copy of Jedi Outcast in a collectors tin for the PC, came with all kinds of goodies like all the previous Dark Forces games, a sew on patch, a mini lightsaber LED light, and a pewter pin.

Just looked through my GC collection and came up with a few more you might want to try.

Paper Mario : Thousand Year Door [GC]

Pokemon Colosseum [GC]

Tales Of Symphonia [GC]

Pokemon XD: Gale Of Darkness [GC]

Killer 7 [GC]

Starfox Adventures [GC]

I own these games and can say they are worth playing :)

Also Resident Evil 4 on [GC] IMO Gamecube version is better, its one of my top 10 all time games.