All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Noob questions...

tofudude

Hello. I am new to using GameEx and I have some questions. Thanks in advance. :D

1: How do I go about editing what options appear on what menus (for example: on the main menu, if I just want the options "Emulators" "Music" "Youtube"...how do I do that)?

2: How do I create a custom order for files (games/music/etc)? I don't want to follow any conventional sorting options (alphabetical, genre, year, etc.). I want it to be completely custom (meaning I would go through and manually place each file where I would want it to be in the list).

3: How can I use GameEX with emulators that I already have installed somewhere else on my computer?

4: Can I use GameEx with emulators that are not available for download through the configuration application?

5: How can I launch any program through GameEX (I didn't see an option for setting up a path to a .exe in the options menu)?

1: Custom Menus. The EXE is in the GameEx start menu.

2: You can't. Lists are alphabetical by design.

3: Check out the Setup Wizard in GameEx and select emulator setup. :)

4: See #3... same place.

5: See #3 (external applications)

you need to look into your GameEx folder, there are many additional apps, like the GameExMenuEditor.exe :)

i think it is a registered user feature, but i can be wrong. anyway with this you customize menues.

SetupWizard is also in your GameEx folder and basically you need to start from there, to configure everything properly.

and welcome to the forum

Adultery and u-man have some solid suggestions for you. I figured I'd point you at some decent starting points in terms of what you're trying to accomplish. Having said that, some of your questions delve into some topics of advanced GameEx configuration. I'd recommend learning the basics before you start delving into custom menus, map files, and other advanced topics.

1: How do I go about editing what options appear on what menus (for example: on the main menu, if I just want the options "Emulators" "Music" "Youtube"...how do I do that)?

Draco1962 has some pretty good documentation of his early experience working with custom menus located right here.

[CUSTOM MENUS] Working with Custom Menus

2: How do I create a custom order for files (games/music/etc)? I don't want to follow any conventional sorting options (alphabetical, genre, year, etc.). I want it to be completely custom (meaning I would go through and manually place each file where I would want it to be in the list).

You might be able to achieve this using a map file? To be honest, I rarely (if ever) use map files, and I've never attempted to define custom ordering via a map file. Another member could say definitively, but it's worth a shot? Here's a great tool for building map files (by our very own Adultery):

[RELEASE] Map File Maker

3: How can I use GameEX with emulators that I already have installed somewhere else on my computer?

You bet. Start in this section of the Configuration Guide and work your way through the applicable settings.

4: Can I use GameEx with emulators that are not available for download through the configuration application?

Really you can use GameEx with any emulator that supports a command line interface (some of them may require a bit of ingenuity and creativity for optimum configuration). If you run into a specific emulator that's giving you problems, feel free to start a new troubleshooting thread in this section of the forum.

5: How can I launch any program through GameEX (I didn't see an option for setting up a path to a .exe in the options menu)?

Work your way through this section of the Configuration Guide.

Also note that these forums are choc full of useful information. Don't be afraid to apply a little judicious searching of the forums. ;) Chances are for any given problem, someone else has probably experienced something similar.

Welcome to the forums! :D

@Null: nope to #2. All lists are sorted alphabetically MAP file or not. :)

I did add functionality to sort your list in Map File Maker though in case Tom grants my request for manual sorting with a MAP file.

• Like 1

No worries. I map everything (obviously why I created a solution to generate them).

Edited by Draco1962
This thread is now closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread.