All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Where to put ROMs in GameEx

deansoluk

Hello,

I am a recent newbe to GameEx. I purchased the software to run on a desktop inside an arcade cabinet. Therefore I want to use GameEx as a ROM player only. I will not be using any of the other multimedia options within GameEx.

I did a fresh install of GameEx on a new desktop running Windows 7. The installer included a version of MAME since I did not have it pre-installed on the desktop. After I went through the setup wizard, I copied a few ROMS to any folder I could find called "ROMS". After that, I ran GameEx, selected MAME, then UPDATE LIST. I then went back to the home screen, selected MAME again and then clicked on ALL MAME GAMES. The only games in that list are the default ROMS that came with GameEx when installed. Of the five games, none work. I select any of them and the game says loading and then GameEx goes back to the home screen of GameEx. The only way I can get to the ROMS I copied to a ROM folder within GameEx is to go to the home screen and then select EMULATED GAMES. With that selected, all of the games are there and I can play them.

My question is, I would like to know where to copy my ROMS so that I can see and play them from the MAME/ALL MAME GAMES location.

If someone could help me by answering my question, I would be very appreciative.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by nullPointer
The proper name of the application is GameEx

Hi deansoluck, and welcome to the forums!

It seems there has been a bit of confusion about this recently. GameEx is designed to be very configurable for the end user. As a result GameEx doesn't have 'default' locations for ROMs and Media because it's presupposed that those locations have been defined by the user. All of this configuration is managed through the Setup Wizard. You'll want to acquaint yourself with the Setup Wizard, Everything that GameEx 'knows' about your own unique setup is managed through the Setup Wizard.

Likewise it's important to remember that GameEx is not itself an emulator. For any emulator you set up in GameEx, you'll want to have that emulator running outside of GameEx first (preferably tested via the command line)

If you're in the process of setting up MAME in GameEx perhaps this documentation may prove to be of some assistance.

Edit: I thought I better mention that the Setup Wizard can be accessed in the following location:

Start Menu > All Programs > GameEx > Setup Wizard

Edited by nullPointer
  • Like 1

Welcome to the Forums! :)

As mentioned by nullPointer (and as a user, I can really agree on this) - GameEx is really user friendly. Once ya opened the Setup Wizard, the option to select the rom folder (path) should be located in the MAME setup (Once you open the setup wizard, for me its easier to find it when you click the check box for the "MAME Setup" under the "Custom" - I usually can navigate quicker using "Custom" lol).

If it helps any, this is the way I have mine set - I use MAME32 and place all my roms in the "Roms" folder that is included. Then I just tell GameEx where that rom folder is located and then let it update the list. The reason I use MAME32 is that it has somewhat of a friendly UI, and if there is any reason for me to check up on a few things, I won't have to go into DOS.

I hope this helps! :)

LC