All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

PS3 60gb Backwards Compatibility

KRC

I recently decided to dig out my ps3 60gb launch model(UK).

Its on an old firmware 2.41 I think?, I've been told that updating it stops the ps3 backwards compatibility, im not too sure what to do, I cant really find anything on google to support this, anybody have any ideas?

I know that the launch model had hardware emulation not software emulation, and I wouldn't think hardware emulation could be stopped.

My friend said the stop on backwards compatibility was because of piracy/hacks.

That's only partially true. You lose the ps2 CPU but it emulates ps2 in software. I have yet to find a ps2 game mine won't run and I have the same machine.

They cut out the CPU to bring the cost down, not for anything piracy related.

After all the worry of something happening with updating firmware my PS3 got YLOD today, couldnt be bothered with it, so swapped it for a Super Street Fighter IV T.E Stick, then my cousin gets the ps3 going after half hour repair, not to bothered though because I hardly played it.