All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

ZX Spectrum Emulator Discovered in N64 GoldenEye

nullPointer

This is too crazy. Apparently a fully functional ZX Spectrum emulator has been discovered hidden inside the code of the N64 GoldenEye game. Ten Speccy games from Rare are apparently hidden in there as well.

GoldenEye Spectrum Emulation Unlocked

Little benownst to the world all this time, GoldenEye (N64) has a fully-functional ZX Spectrum 48x emulator built into it. By feeding it a proper Spectrum monitor program and calling menu 25 to load a snapshot, any Spectrum 48x program can be run.

The emulator started life as a side project to see if Spectrum emulation was possible on N64 and was hooked into GE, the current game in development. It was supposed to be removed before release but was only made inaccessible and inoperable. All the registers, dependancies, and script required to run the emulator still reside in retail GoldenEye carts.

The full story and instructions are available at TheRWP.

It would be utterly hilarious if you could unlock this through an N64 emulator (cuz . . . you know . . . I mean . . . yo dawg you just put an emulator inside your emulator so you can emulate while you're emulatin') :rolleyes:

Its kinda like an easter egg. I love finding and hearing about those things in Games and Systems. I never knew about the one for the Sega Master System that the built in CMOS rom had that gave you an extra free "game". I even had an SMS, but sold it long before I knew about it and could test it out. Still, the idea of hidden things like this is always really cool. There was another one for Grand Theft Auto 3 for PC that when you enabled it, it allowed you to have full on sex mini-games with your dates. It was all there, but hidden away before release until somebody figured out how to unlock with special hacks and stuff.

Regarding funny Easter Eggs in games, I got a pretty good laugh out of this article over at cracked.com.

The 5 Ballsiest Easter Eggs Hidden in Video Games

It’s amazing the sort of stuff that gets left behind in code sometimes. It's definitely always a reminder that game development is a human based endeavor (rather than that of a faceless corporation). Likewise it always makes me feel a bit nostalgic for the early anarchistic days of home computing when often as not games were developed by small teams working out of a basement somewhere (although the current trends towards indie gaming certainly suggests this concept isn’t altogether dead . . .)