All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Crazy thoughts about re-use of an old PalmPilot

ehuonder

I was floating around the web, thinking about re-purposing some old hardware, when I came across PalmOrb and LCD Smartie... I quickly pulled out an old PalmPilot, dusted it off, and installed the SW, and wow, I have a little LCD plugged into my serial port. I know that GameEx supports LCD Smartie, and that got me thinking... The LCD 20x4 that PalmOrb supports is small, and doesn't utilize the screen very well. I was thinking that since I'm not trying to be a generic LCD, maybe I could modify the PalmOrb SW and use more of the screen... But even more interesting to me would be to send keystrokes from the PalmPilot touch screen to the GameEx SW... Currently, the PalmOrb SW does have 25 buttons (A-Y) that it sends keystrokes back to the host. I can verify this with a terminal. Does the GameEx LCD Smartie Plugin already support keystrokes from the device? If not, is it possible to make a plug-in that would take the serial keystroke input, and send it to GameEx?

Any thoughts or comments?