All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Star Wars: The Old Republic

hansolo77

Anybody interested in playing this when it comes out? I know there's a few Star Wars buffs in here. I've been waiting for what seems like forever. I loved Galaxies until they rebuilt the classes and made JEDI a starting profession. That's when I quit playing. Now with a new Star Wars MMO coming out, it's gonna be awesome again!

I got an email yesterday that I was selected to be a tester for the game before it comes out (I think it's December 20th). The "beta" test will be this weekend, 11/11/11 to 11/13/11. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Was curious if anybody else on here got an invite and would maybe like to buddy up in a party.

You should still be able to sign up for tester access. I figured they would either accept or deny you, and if accepted you would have EARLY beta access (like months ago) and be able to continue testing right up till release day. Turns out the way they're doing it is having a preselected group of people over certain periods of patching. That way they can get a feel for the market with fresh faces in every beta group. My test will take place this weekened, addressing specific issues made revelant in previous beta group testing. If I provide enough quality feedback of my test experience, they said I may be selected for further testing access. After testing, I assume I'm free to play throughout the remaining test time. I'll at least get a feel for the game, and verify my computer system is adequet enough to play it before I go out and buy it. I remember when I beta'd Star Wars Galaxies, I got a free in-game gift (wearable sunglasses.. woo) and a 50% discount coupon for the Collector's Edition of the game when it came out (much more valuable, with a book, artbook, map, sew-on patch, soundtrack, behind the scenes DVD, and exclusive preferred access to the game when the servers were busy).

I have high hopes for this game. If the previous games released by these guys are any clue to the quality of their products, this should easily be worth the time and money.

I know I can't talk about the game once I start testing (like who'll know, but I'm a legit guy about it) so I won't be able to talk about it here afterwards. Hope too see ya round the galaxy!

My boss is in the beta with his old Warcraft guild. All he does is work and play the game, so it must be pretty good. I think he's been in the beta for about 3 weeks now. I'll probably check it out. Hopefully it caters to the casual gamer like WoW does because I simply do not have the time to grind out for half decent gear. I do hope they keep it in check if they do that. I knew I wasn't going to be decked out in epics, but it got to the point where it seemed you got purples simply for logging in after BC came out. Reward the players who sink countless hours in the game, but keep it somewhat balanced so players who may only log 5-10 hours a week a least feel like they're accomplishing something.

• 2 weeks later...

Bioware is sending out another batch of invites for this weeks beta test. They announced in their forums that if you had registered an account and marked to the box to opt in for testing, they are going to give EVERYBODY the chance this time, as it will supposedly be the final weekend stress test before the release day. So if you've done it already, you should be getting your invite. I started reading the invites when out yesterday, and I got mine this morning. If you haven't already done so, you might still be able to register/opt in and get your invite before it's all said and done. Good luck, and hope to see ya'll there!

• 3 weeks later...

Beta tests are over. Game is set for release on 12/20/12. If you're lucky enough to get a preorder paid off before that, they are having a free 'thankyou gift' of 5-days early access (meaning 12/15/12). That's in 4 days. Rumors are going around now that it might be even sooner, the 13th. This is all thanks to a Facebook announcement by the SWTOR team saying that if you got a guild set up, they'll be emailing out the details of the guild's server location starting today. So people are hoping that once this email batch is sent out, then they'll start sending out the invites for the early access.

I've got my preorder in at GameStop, and on Thursday the 8th, I finished paying it off. I got my early access code, and registered it with the site. I immediately got a thankyou email, and details that they will email me when the early access is open for me to use. So I'm waiting for it. I wanted to get the Collector's Edition, with the soundtrack, map, book, statue, extra in-game items, etc...but they were already sold out of them by the end of July. :( Guess I waited to long to order.

So anyway... If you guys want, perhaps we can start up a guild? Might be fun. I'm probably going to find a guild of my own if I can't get any of my friends to play. Just thought I'd put the idea out there. But keep the dates in mind if you're interested!

I've already paid off my standard edition of the game. :( They said the only store they know of in my town that might still have some left would be Best Buy. But they said if you preorder with them (Best Buy) you would have to pay out right 100% cost up front, and they wouldn't be offering any of the advanced early access. Plus, there was no garauntee that they would have any, since the Collector's Editions were sold to local stores very limitedly... GameStop told me their entire company was only granted a limited supply of 1000 units of the collector's edition, of which were shared equally among all the stores in the country. Now if GameStop, a dedicated gaming store, was limited to 1000 units, and all were sold within 2 weeks of preorder announcment, chance are pretty slim I'd be able to find one somewhere else locally. So I didn't bother to look around, and just decided to buy the standard version from them.

• 2 weeks later...