All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Neo Geo set up?

matt_tee

Hi all,

Back again, sorry for being a noob! can somebody please guide me into the setup of NEBULA (neo-geo) have tried, but cannot get it going...

Is there a step by stepguide on this site to set up emulators for us newbies?

Again, I am sorry if I am missing anything obvious, I promise, show me the way, and I will endeavour to learn and help others...

thanks in advance,

Matt

Hi all,

Back again, sorry for being a noob! can somebody please guide me into the setup of NEBULA (neo-geo) have tried, but cannot get it going...

Is there a step by stepguide on this site to set up emulators for us newbies?

Again, I am sorry if I am missing anything obvious, I promise, show me the way, and I will endeavour to learn and help others...

thanks in advance,

Matt

There are guides out there but not to a specific emulator except for a few. Way too hard to cover everything out there. As much as we'd like to, it's just too much work. But we are here to help and will get you sorted. What kind of problems are you having? By not getting it going, what do you mean? Please give more detail. Posting a config can also help us to troubleshoot. Instructions on how to do so can be found in the How to ask for Help topic.

I'll just pose the question that seems obligatory. Why do you want to use Nebula for NeoGeo games when MAME is supposed to be able to emulate all of them at this point? Is there a hacked/unreleased game that MAME doesn't have yet, or are there extra controls that you are looking to leverage?

Yup I would asked the same question as bkenobi.nebula is now OBSOLETE as.like bk said,MAME does emulate them all,and well at that.in fact,MAME 143u2 emulates ALL the games nebula does.

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your replies....

To be perfectly honest, I did not realise that mame did everything that all the others could do, I really thought I could get different games/experiences using different emus....

So the only real emus that are 'different' are the N64/PS2 types? Am I right?

Am I getting the point?

Sorry again for the lack of experience....

Lol!

Matt

Yeah, arcade based games work great in MAME aside from Model 2 games. Emulators are more a concern for console systems like SNES, PSX, Genesis, etc.

Not all arcade games work well in MAME. MAME is a great emulator but there are others that do well where MAME hasn't yet. Some games do better in other emulators. However MAME is growing all the time and eventually/hopefully there will be no need for these emulators. A good source of those arcade games that don't work well in MAME is NonMAME. It lists the games and the emulators.

Yup, Freq is right. I forgot all about nonMAME. I'm so excited about scrapping ZiNc I forgot to mention it. :)

Is there a distinction between the ROMS used in NEOGEO based arcade games (that MAME may/not play) and the NEOGEO AES (home system) roms? I guess what I'm asking is, I have a full rom set from MAME, do I need to download a separate rom set for the AES. If not, I'll scratch it off my list of consoles I need to get/install/setup.

If you really want to you can, but in all honesty the NeoGeo CDs are pretty damn close to identical ports of arcade titles (except they're on CD) and they run slower due to the original hardware having a laughable 2x read speed.

And for the record I have yet to find a single NeoGeo ROM that doesn't play 100% in MAME.

yea there are like 2 games or so on neogeo AES that arent also available on MVS its also safe to say that neither of those games are worth your time.

And yes freq is quite right there are many arcade systems that are still unemulated in MAME such as the Naomi arcade system.If you are looking to play games like Capcom vs Snk,Marvel vs Capcom 2 then DEMUL is your bet bet.thats because MAME does the games graphics completely by CPU power,and does not tap GPU resources since the MAME dev's want to get the emulation 100% accurate.but there are many otehr great arcade emu's out there.Like freq mentioned nonMAME is great for arcade stuff while nonMESS is good for consoles

It's all good from my point of view. I'm just a causal gamer. I don't know enough about these systems to really get down and dirty and want to be able to play EVERYTHING. I probably never will. The purpose of my question (and thread stealing ^_^) was to see if I could cut some hard drive space by not having multiple copies of the same rom, for the sake of being able to play them on different emulators.

Yeah, if you're system is fast enough, you can now scrap Zinc too. I'd love to remove that emu, but now that it's fully configured and working, it's not really that big a push. If I were to lose my system for some reason, I think I'd definitely step up to a better CPU so I could eliminate Zinc. Its setup is a royal PITA compared to MAME.