All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Problems with fresh install on Vista

hansolo77

May not be directly related to Vista though...

Install was fine, trouble during setup. When downloading themes from the wizard, a couple of them require a manual install. BubbleBobble and Soul Caliber are the ones I can remember. They pop up their install programs, but the wizard is "always on top", blocking them and the wizard appears to just hang. Once I figured this out, I was able to minimize the wizard and install those themes. Another issue as far as popups requiring their own installs is during the MAME setup from within GameEx. When you go to update the romlist, it downloads a 7zip file, which needs to be extracted. GameEx appeared to just hang at 2% while creating the list, so when I ALT+CTRL+DEL I noticed the 7zip autoextract program was running, requesting a folder path to save the files to. These are issues that may not be able to be fixed, since GameEx and the wizard all run "always on top". Unless you can disable that function.

I can't remember the reason I made the Setup Wizard always on top. I didn't realise this would mean the extractor dialog would appear behind it. I will change this for next release.

As for the 7Zip issue with the update list, this sounds like a bug and hopefully will get the attention of Tom.

I've actually found a possible solution to the 7Zip issue when updating the romlist. Just run GameEx in windowed mode. I don't know if there's anyway to get around this, since the files GameEx is using are in 7zip format. As for the always on top issue of the setup wizard.. If there was just some way to get the few themes that require seperate installs to be ran automatically, that would solve that problem. If they can't be done automatically like the rest, then just not running "always on top" should fix it.