All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

I want my topper imposed over dmd

Ollem

Hey guys I'm trying to have my topper video imposed on top of my dmd videos sharing the same screen. I have a 3 screen setup with playfield, BG, and dmd screens.  In the settings display section the dmd and topper are both set to share the same screen #3. I have the topper ( my dot matrix vids) set with x/y coordinates to perfectly fit in the dmd frames while in pinballX. In the media section for dmd videos I put all the dmd frames. I use the topper video section to hold all my dot matrix videos files. My issue is while in pinballx the topper gets hidden behind the dmd videos. I can bring it to the front with alt tab but once I start a table and exit back into the frontend, pinballX places the topper in the background again. The end result is a dmd frame without the desired dot matrix video. When I start a table everything works fine with freezy setup and hide dmd unchecked. My only issue is the frontend hiding the topper in the background. Is there a way to always have my topper video section imposed over the dmd videos? Thanks

PinballX.ini log.txt

Edited by Ollem
added my ini and log.txt files

First, I moved this to the PinballX General subforum from GameEx - please be aware of where you are posting a thread to ensure a proper response.

Second, please attach copies of your pinballx.ini and log.txt files (no copy and paste) for review when reporting an issue for assistance.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Ollem said:

Hey guys I'm trying to have my topper video imposed on top of my dmd videos sharing the same screen. I have a 3 screen setup with playfield, BG, and dmd screens.  In the settings display section the dmd and topper are both set to share the same screen #3. I have the topper ( my dot matrix vids) set with x/y coordinates to perfectly fit in the dmd frames while in pinballX. In the media section for dmd videos I put all the dmd frames. I use the topper video section to hold all my dot matrix videos files. My issue is while in pinballx the topper gets hidden behind the dmd videos. I can bring it to the front with alt tab but once I start a table and exit back into the frontend, pinballX places the topper in the background again. The end result is a dmd frame without the desired dot matrix video. When I start a table everything works fine with freezy setup and hide dmd unchecked. My only issue is the frontend hiding the topper in the background. Is there a way to always have my topper video section imposed over the dmd videos? Thanks

PinballX.ini 3.61 kB · 3 downloads log.txt 3.37 kB · 3 downloads

Inventive config!, so you want a 'full dmd' underlay (set as DMD in your pinballX config) and to overlay dmd media (set as Topper in your PinballX config) on top of a framed area of the underlay - but the underlay currently appears on top of the topper (dmd) media?

One option that springs to mind is to simply try reversing your PinballX DMD and Topper configs along with the associated media (so in PinballX  the Topper assumes the underlay role and the DMD section is the overlay).

Yes to your question that's what I'm trying to do. and also thanks for noticing my Frankenstein of a config lol so the reason I'm at where I'm at, is because my 1st step was to do what you suggested (dmd frames in the topper section and dot matrix vids in the dmd section). On the initial boot up (and others after that) this left me with the dot matrix media hidden in the background when pinballX started up. So I thought of reversing the order (your suggestion) and that's how I got to placing dmd frames in dmd vid media and halving my dot matrix vids in the topper section. With the reversed setup whenever pinballX is booted up the topper media is now displayed on top of the dmd frames which is perfect and exactly what I want. The problem is everytime I exit a table the topper image is now hidden behind the dmd frame media. So it works fine until I play a table and exit back in pinballx then the topper media is hidden again

3 hours ago, Ollem said:

Yes to your question that's what I'm trying to do. and also thanks for noticing my Frankenstein of a config lol so the reason I'm at where I'm at, is because my 1st step was to do what you suggested (dmd frames in the topper section and dot matrix vids in the dmd section). On the initial boot up (and others after that) this left me with the dot matrix media hidden in the background when pinballX started up. So I thought of reversing the order (your suggestion) and that's how I got to placing dmd frames in dmd vid media and halving my dot matrix vids in the topper section. With the reversed setup whenever pinballX is booted up the topper media is now displayed on top of the dmd frames which is perfect and exactly what I want. The problem is everytime I exit a table the topper image is now hidden behind the dmd frame media. So it works fine until I play a table and exit back in pinballx then the topper media is hidden again

Interesting.. i don't think there's a ready made solution then, but maybe you could try playing with the not hide topper and dmd options on game launch - there might be a combination where the order of screens on return to PinballX is unaffected,  or.. if you just want a DMD type display in the DMD frame when in PinballX instead of using videos as the topper you could try the stats plugin and just display scores etc on a flex or ultra dmd (see https://forums.gameex.com/forums/topic/23213-plugin-pinballx-statistics-display/)

• 2 weeks later...

Edit:  sorry, I did not realize you want it superimposed.  You can still do this in Popper at play time, but its more tricky and wont always work (depending on transparency settings).  For the frontend, if you can get it to work in play, then you should be able to record it and use it in your frontend media as mentioned below.  There are DMD frames you can find online that have sections for the DMD and topper in an integrated frame, but they don't overlap.

You can create a simple PuP pack and run the screen configuration.  Partition your DMD space for your DMD and Topper accordingly on the DMD screen, and place the resulting PinUpPlayer.ini file in the same folder as your PuP Pack.  Then when you run the game it will just work.  Make sure to backup your orignal .ini file first.  That takes care of how it looks during play.  To make it work nice in PBX, simply record your DMD video area and use it as your frontend media