All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Showing random videos in the DMD screen

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I was wondering if there is a way to display a random video in the DMD screen during game selection / game play? What I have is an assortment of videos that I want to play in the DMD screen on machines that do not use the DMD. I have written a batch file to run at the table launch that will rename a randomly selected file to a specific name (i.e. runfile.mp4). However, since PinballX looks for the same filename as the table file, I cannot use the single filename to work with every table. (I hope that made sense).

So the question is, is there a way to tell PinballX to just use the specific filename for selected tables? Or does the random file have to be named the same as the table file?

Thanks!

First thought was that you could utilise the 'no dmd.mp4' in the media\videos folder instead of 'runfile.mp4' - but the problem you'd have is that as the dmd video is in use in the front end before the game is launched file locking would be an issue, so i don't think your current method will work.

Instead i'd suggest using an external video player like ffplay on the dmd with launch before and after scripts in PinballX. You can probably adapt @joyrider3774's scripts here to strip out the ffplay commands for your use. Depending on your setup you might need to account for tables that use the DMD so the video doesn't launch for those, but not a problem if all  the non dmd tables are  under their own system.