All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Looking for MAME 0.149 Map File

RIP-Felix

Does anyone have or know how I can get a Map for Mame 0.149 full rom set? I would like to use the built in GameEx MAME, but having trouble with it. Thought I could circumvent them by using the emulator entries. Problem is there is no [Arcade] MAME Map in the default maps with GameEX.

Hi Felix

I would suggest taking a look at one of the quality Map File generation utilities available. It always seems like I forget one or the other when I offer this advice, but the two that I always remember are Map File Magician by Tempest, and Map File Maker by Adultery. Apologies to anyone I might be forgetting here! These utilities will automate the process of generating your own map files, and will give you a granular level of control over the contents of the those files.

I must be stupid! Neither of those programs were of help. They must be for more advanced setups. I'm just looking for a list of rom names and their respective game titles for a complete 0.149 MAME set. Where is the one GameEX creates? Or is that different?

I split this topic from the User Submitted Configs, Map Files, Wrappers and Databases thread so we wouldn't drive too far off topic. :)

Rather than using a map file, I believe that by default the MAME list in GameEx is populated via the [Arcade] Arcade (Mame) database located in the ...\GameEx\DATA\EMULATORS directory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. For some reason the update list option does not work properly in my cabinet setup. This makes using the default MAME function in GameEX useless. It works on my HTPC with the same settings/tweaks? Weird. Rather than trying to track down the issue, I prefer using the emulator entries. I just needed the Map File to get the Names to display right.

BTW: I tried to generate them myself with a couple of utilities, but for some reason they failed/crashed. Thanks again for the Map File.

Yes, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. For some reason the update list option does not work properly in my cabinet setup. This makes using the default MAME function in GameEX useless. It works on my HTPC with the same settings/tweaks? Weird. Rather than trying to track down the issue, I prefer using the emulator entries. I just needed the Map File to get the Names to display right.

BTW: I tried to generate them myself with a couple of utilities, but for some reason they failed/crashed. Thanks again for the Map File.

No worries needed one myself.

So the process I used to create it was to use romlister as it can create a text file with just the rom names and then another one with just the descriptions, then its just a matter of pasting this info into a speadsheet (open office calc for me) and then using the output in notepad++ saving this again as a mapfile.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Thanks. Just what I was after too. Wanted to set up VMAME to play over the web with my brother. Gameex doesn't seem support that any more?

Anyhow left the main MAME emulator as is and then created a VMAME Server emulator. Yet to test this out!