All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

MAME intros forGameEX Screensaver?

RIP-Felix

I was wondering how the MAME game attract/screensavers work. I have it enabled but the only one that works is the Simpsons. The others just try to load go black then return to gameex. Perhaps it requires that I have a complete rom set? If so is there a list somewhere where I can tell it to use the ones I want to use?

I just went into the MAME settings in the wizard and Set it to show all Mame Games. I previously had all these options set to "no". This way only my emulators show on the screen. I have MAME set up as emulators because I use two versions 0.147 and 0.143b then merge sets so they appear in one list. However I figured these MAME option have to do with the attract mode, so I enabled show allmame games to see which ones it showed. It only showed the simpsons (which explains that one) and splatterhouse (which I don't have explaining the reason it fails to load that one). However, gameex prompted me to update the MAME Game list which sounded promising and I agreed. It then got stuck at "Creating verify.dat (55%)" and has been stuck there unresponsive for the last 20mins.

Explain that one? My Thumbnail really captures how I feel about now!

EDIT:

oh...wait I did something and it finished the process. I'll edit back in a bit if that fixed the problem...Yes it did fix the problem. However it still shows splatterhouse which is not in the location I told it MAME was located and it is not showing a number of other game that are in the folder, namely 1942, and 1943 to name a few.

Make sure you remove the games in the entry "Do Not Filter" under MAME settings... Splattethouse is definitely on that list.

Verify takes some time to complete as it verifies each rom in MAME before adding it to the game list, and you can turn that off under the "Verify Roms" option (although I use it to block any games that may not work because of an upgrade).

Is there a way to manually re-run the MAME update list process after making the change? It did not prompt me to. Also 1941 is in the folder but it does not show up in the list, but when I search all roms it finds it. Are ghost roms normal?

Update Game List should be at the bottom of your MAME categories list in GameEx.

I've not had any issues with ghost ROMs that I'm aware of... If you have your sets verifying maybe it's a parent ROM issue, but I'm not sure.

I forgot about that setting...Doh! Unfortunately it still doesn't see 1941. It works when I run it with my emulator setup for MAME but not the default GameEX all MAME games list. I'm updating my rom set to 0.149 and will see if that fixes the issue. Till then...

If you want to force it to show no matter what just add the rom set to the do not filter list. ;-)

That should work but for some reason GameEX still refuses to see it. I updated the ROM set, now have full 0.149 ROM set and the 0.149 MameUI64. I opened the application by itself and it sees the parent file "1941.7z" and each sub file "US, world and Japan." when I select US it starts fine and plays normal. But when I update the GameEX list it just does not show up even though 1941 is added to the do not filter list. Weird!