All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

MUGEN Noob needs help

RIP-Felix

I like the concept of MUGEN, but am finding it hard to get started.

1) Where do I get MUGEN and what version should I get? (Windows 7 x64)

2) I don't want to go through a whole bunch of adding charicters, stages, and etc. At least not to start. Is there a good starter build that has a good selection of charicters, stages, from all the classics? (street fighter, mortal combat, virtua fighter, etc.)

Waddup Felix

I’m afraid I don’t have a lot of personal experience to share regarding MUGEN. I’ve used it (putting Rorschach into a fighting game was just too good to pass up), but it’s been forever and a day since I did anything with it.

1) Where do I get MUGEN and what version should I get? (Windows 7 x64)

I believe that Elecbyte’s site is still the main base of operations for MUGEN software (someone please correct me if I’m wrong). It certainly was back in the day (Elecbyte was the original developer of MUGEN). That would be a good place to start.

2) I don't want to go through a whole bunch of adding charicters, stages, and etc. At least not to start. Is there a good starter build that has a good selection of charicters, stages, from all the classics? (street fighter, mortal combat, virtua fighter, etc.)

Finding pre-made set is definitely the way to go, particularly if you find ones that maintain a consistent look and feel in terms of characters, backgrounds, animations, and resolutions (this last one is huge). The sets I have tend to be small focused sets (although as I mentioned I haven’t even opened up MUGEN for a very long time). Sets that include EVERYTHING! OMG!! LOLZORZ!!! tend to be a hot mess as far as I’m concerned. It seems like it would be awesome but tends to be an unwieldy disaster in terms of execution (IMO).

Having said that, finding pre-made sets can be a bit tricky depending on where you look. As you probably know the MUGEN eco-system tends to be divided into rather insular communities and release groups. It’s a bit of a tough nut to crack, and (in my experience) not particularly noob friendly depending on where you look. I’d start with some of the better known release groups to see what you can find (Mugen Fighters Guild, Infinity Mugen Team and Mugen Infantry are some of the big ones). If that turned up a blank I’d go off the beaten path and take a look at the untraveled ground.

• Like 1

Like Null said, MUGEN Fighters Guild. They have a good breakdown of sections with new releases. You can pretty much create your own game, add characters, music and other stuff with the amount of resourses, although I have not. The config files are fairly simple to navigate to change screen res, full screen and controls. And, XPadder is your friend is you have snags like i did with my cp.

I always planned on developing a section of my setup to have MUGEN also, but I never really got anywhere. I spent a lot of time downloading all the contents (characters, backgrounds, etc) and then never actually got around to putting them all together. I did get 1 or 2 premade games, like an X-Men one and a Mortal Kombat one. When I had the fire though my drive died and I lost those things. I never got back the urge to try again. Part of me just feels it was just way to much effort to try and build your own, so I agree that the a premade set is probably the best bet at first. If you got a lot of free time, it would be worth it to learn all the ins and outs and try constructing your own though.

Thanks, for all the great info. I will probably get a standard build, like marvel vs. capcom if there is one. From there I can add characters as I think of them, assuming they come with premade fighting moves and all that. EDIT: I found a couple good ones from Infinity MUGEN Team here: http://www.infinitym...=Mugen_Projects They don't look like you can add charicters or reuse them in another build. Looks like I will have to build my own, or just use the premade builds I can find.

How should I set up my mugen projects to be launched by GameEX. Each launchs from an exicutable, so far. I will probably make a emulator group for all the mugen projects after that. Never mind, I got it>